Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Secret Mission


I didn't tell anyone I would be gone all last week (well, except for my husband and my boss). I went on a secret mission. It's one of those things you want to share but then again...

What if I decide this is the worst idea I've ever had.

What if I decide I don't want to do this thing.

What if I can't do it?

What if I fail?

Well, after a week of living it, I know three things.

It's NOT the worst idea I've ever had.

I REALLY want to do this thing.

I CAN do it.

The failure part...well, that remains to be seen.

I've thought about doing this for years and years and I finally took the first steps. I've been accepted into the NQA Judge Certification Program as a Candidate.

With other candidates from all over the world, I served as a judging aide at the NQA Annual Show in Columbus, Ohio. For three days, I worked as a runner, fanner, holder and gopher. I also helped with the photography of the winning quilts. I got to be the quilt catcher so when the photographer said "good", I ran in and caught the quilt as the hangers brought the pole down, carried it to the side where someone else pulled the pole out, then carried it to the folder. So, when you get your NQA quarterly magazine and see all those wonderful winning quilts...just think...I got to touch each one of them (with white gloves of course)!

Thursday and Friday was spent in the NQA Intro to Quilt Judging class. It was intense but a lot of fun. It is amazing what you can learn in a couple of days.



I did actually get to attend the show. We went to the preview night on Wednesday evening and got to spend a few hours dashing through the vendors and seeing the quilts in the special exhibits (the ones we had not been toting around all week).

After a stop in Wytheville, Virginia at Batiks, Etc. (yum), I was back home yesterday.

Now begins the real work.

They don't give these certifications away.

There are lots of steps you must go through including a rigorous independent study, working as an aide at two national shows, and passing written and oral exams.

It actually reminds me a lot of my last year of graduate school.

One other big step I need to fulfill is acquiring judging experience. I've got lots of experience as quilt show chair, judging room coordinator, scribe, aide, etc. but am a bit light on actual judging experience.

So, if you need a quilt judge for your show or county fair or 4-H group, etc., let me know.

I'm cheap labor...for now.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Congrats! Sounds like a fun thing to do, even if it is a lot of work.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

How cool!! You should have told me you would be up there...you could have had my Sacred Threads tickets! Not that it sounds like you would have had time for much else. How exciting and are you kidding? Perfectly attainable for you!!

quiltkeemosabe said...

Good for you!!! You'll make a great judge and I know you can do it! I had been wondering where you were last week, now I know. I think your new venture is wonderful!

ripriprip said...

I know you can do it. If you ever doubt yourself just ask me. You will be great at it.

Ann S said...

Sounds great...I envy your passion for this great hobby. You get to make beautiful things, have great friendships and now you will add another dimension to it! The next time you are in the buckeye state, you HAVE to come see the best part...the north and Lake Erie!

Nane said...

Wow, my Aunt lives in Colombus and I have thought about going to that show sometime with her. Very cool, can't wait to catch up.