For some reason Memorial Weekend is my "quilt world" New Year. A couple of years ago, I counted up my UFOs and started monitoring my progress monthly. This year I adopted a percentage complete process.
If a quilt is cut out, it is 5% complete.
Blocks pieced = 20% complete.
Applique finished = 30%
Top pieced = 40%
Borders on = 60% (yeah, a big jump but I don't enjoy putting on borders so I need a big reward)
Basted = 75%
Quilted = 80%
Binding on = 90%
Binding whipped down & complete = 100%
This is, of course, all in a little spreadsheet that calculates my overall percent complete based on the number of UFOs I have.
I started the year with 151. Well, this isn't quite true because I added some along the way but you get the idea. I have A LOT of UFOs. BUT...keep in mind that when I started two years ago I had 209 UFOs on my list.
Here's where you really see the progress and why I started the percentage countdown instead of just looking at totals. When I started Memorial Weekend 2008, my percent complete number was 13.1%. Memorial Weekend 2009, my percent complete number is 33.9%. YAY! Progress!
From my little spreadsheet, I can see that I completed 23 quilts in my 2008-2009 quilt year. Not bad. Not a banner year, but not bad considering the full time job that's out of control, a serious change in lifestyle (as in getting out of the house and taking better care of myself) and not to mention all the handwork I'm doing.
It's nice to see progress.
So now, I'll copy my little spreadsheet for another year, take out all the finished projects, add in a couple of projects I know need to be on the list (like a couple little boy scout quilts for the nephs and a kit I could not resist at Quilter's Gallery and a couple of rug projects) and I'm off again.
So Quilt Year 2009 begins with 131 projects in the queue and at 21.6% complete. (Still better than the 13.1% complete a year ago.)
We'll see what adventures another year will bring!
1 hour ago
9 comments:
WOW, being in charge of the UFO list is an eye opener. HUH??? Since the move to W/S I have unpacked boxes of tops I don't remember making. BUT!!!, I recognize the fabric and the way the seams are sewn. That is to pathetic. I was probably "power sewing" for a class sample.
The year ahead will be successful for you, I have no doubt. I cringe at the percentage factor, after being married to an engineer for 34+ years you think I'd be used to that line of thinking though.
Him:"So, how far done are you, twenty percent?"
me:groan, I have no idea...
Now I have a way of calculating a response based on the assignments that you have designated. Thanks!!
After trying to complete my applique homework tonight I decided there should be a handicap for these type of projects....prepping the pieces is taking me FOREVER not to mention the scorched fingers. So progress on applique projects should get a bonus over traditional piecing!
wow...thats organized!!! you wanna come over here and whip me into shape :)
go get em!
I could not dare to count up all my UFOs. It would freak me out too much.
Well that is progress, definatley....well done.
I made a UFO list as well. I like the word census! I am at 70% complete, and am trying to stay at that number. Every time I start a new quilt, it drops below that number, so I have to finish something in order to get back up. I'm hoping for 90%.
HELP!!!! I need a spread sheet and someone like you to figure it out.
I am so impressed with your system. I like putting things in spreadsheets and following trends, but had not thought of this.
Post a Comment