Monday, April 20, 2009

One Busy Weekend



It seems everything happens all at one time. Our guild quilt show was this weekend and my church's women's retreat. So, I had to choose and a retreat will win out every time (well, almost but more on that later). Friday, I did the mad dash through the quilt show. It was beautiful as always. Both of my quilts won ribbons, which is always a thrill. The one above was a kit I bought a few years ago and finally finished in January. The other was my Southern Album, which won Best Longarm Quilting. I'll have to take some close up shots of it for a later post so you can see just how phenominal Theresa's quilting is.



From there I took off to Montreat for our women's retreat. We stay at the same lodge as our quilting retreat so it's a little like coming home for me. This year I was on the planning committee and the whole weekend had a quilting theme (imagine that). It was called "Patching Scraps: Tending Body, Heart, Mind and Soul". I did the talk on Saturday night on tending the mind, which was fun. Plus, I was in charge of the craft this year. I made little quilt wall hangings for everyone to decorate. I took all my batik fabrics, showed them how to use Wonder Under and had a bunch of things they could trace. I think everyone enjoyed it.


Here are two that said they weren't "crafty" and were so tickled with their little wallhangings. They did come out great, didn't they?



On Saturday, we had some free time. Some went shopping, others hung around the lodge and a few went walking. I went with two ladies for a long walk. It was a beautiful day. Montreat is one of my favorite places on earth. You can see why, right?





8 comments:

Mama said...

Such gorgeousness! Is that a word? Hey, I love your new banner, too! My sweet Oscar got his first summer haircut last week. He wants to know if Shelby will still think he's handsome?

Anne said...

Your quilts are gorgeous. Well deserved ribbons! Aren't retreats just the best? Love em.

Carrie P. said...

Congratulations on your quilts. You always do such lovely work.
Looks like a fun retreat and great little wall hangings that the ladies did.

Darlene said...

Wow, two ribbons - congratulations! Beautiful quilts!

And a retreat - what more can a girl ask for? :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I can see why! Big hugs of congratulations to you on your ribbons, they're well deserved.

Nane said...

This makes me want to get to Montreat NOW! Your quilts are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE your quilts! They are beautiful! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

You have the BEST weekends! I LOVE reading about all your trips and outings!!! Keep having FUN!