Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Little Retreat Weekend

This weekend was the annual rug hooking guild retreat at the beach. Like last year, KB and I stayed with her mom who spoiled us something terrible. Because of work and other factors, our schedule got a little wonky and we didn't make it to the retreat until Saturday but got to stay with KB's mom Sunday night. It was a wonderful weekend.

First, I have to show you this master piece by one of the ladies. She hooked it in 1976 and was hoping to repair the spot on it. She's not sure it's repairable without making it worse. This is a huge rug. The middle green part is 5' x 7'. The detail in the border is just incredible. I'll stick to small primitive pieces, thank you very much.


The house was right by the beach and the room we had was big and sunny. What does a roomful of hookers look like? Well, this:



Here are a few of the projects the ladies were working on.

Can you believe this fox?



She drew this pattern from a smaller photo of a stain glass peacock.



Proddy sunflowers.

One Saturday afternoon, the lady in charge of the retreat set out wine and cheese. Is this table sweet or what? Easter grass and all.



This group knows how to throw a party. I believe there were 15 bottles of wine in the frig...for one night.


And here we all are...before the 15 bottles were uncorked. (BTW, KB and I left before it got too wild. We had a homemade dinner waiting on us at her mom's house. yum)


On Sunday we went on a wonderful walk. KB's mom lives in a historic coastal town on the inner sound and it is beautiful and interesting. Along the walk, there are a couple of houses that have old grave stones in the front yard. Yeah, real ones. This one dates to 1771 and pretty much tells it like it is.


We walked to the park beside the sound and took in the sights and enjoyed the sunshine.

Here's something you don't see everyday. (Well, I guess KB's mom does but I don't.) So really. If there's a sudden tsunami, does NOAA really think running like that is going to help?

11 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wonderful! It looks like so much fun~ the grave marker is eerie, right there in the yard no less.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, and one more thing... if that rug is indeed repairable wouldn't it be a drag to hook only one solid color, or is that calming?

Salem Stitcher said...

If I had to hook one solid color for a 5' x 7' area, I'd probably go bonkers. Plus... she hooked it with wool strips that are 3/16" wide. It must have taken forever.

MJMR said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I don't believe I could run fast enough to out run a wave that size!?!?

Quilting Memories said...

DH and I saw a sign like that when we were in Malibu, but all I could see was shore line and across the street huge mountains, so where were we supposed to run????
A grave marker in the front yard, a little too much for me.
I know nothing about hooking, but all the rugs were beautiful. I can not imagine wrestleing with the weigh of that big one. Kudoos to all.

Nane said...

Looks like a great weekend...I have a long way to go to be a hooker of this caliber

Dana said...

Um . . . I'm speechless over those rugs. Beautiful!!

Carrie P. said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe that rug was done by one person. It is awesome. Some very talented people. That sign cracks me up.

Teresa said...

I think whoever designed that sign or even saw the need for a sign like that must have uncorked a few bottle himself! What a great retreat location. I can thing of no place better than looking out over the ocean and sewing with friends.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

What a fun weekend!
That sign is a hoot...I'm guessing that if the wave were that close, running would NOT be an option...

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

So that is what a room full of hookers look like...looks like your all had a fantastic time, the workmanship is just amazing...food and drinks also look mighty tempting.