I remember driving by this odd assortment of buildings on Highway 70 on my way to NC State twenty-five (oh please...that can't be right, can it?) years ago. Out there in the middle of nowhere between Greensboro and Burlington was what looked like a campus of some sort. It was abandoned, the windows on the big old buildings boarded up and the paint peeling off the cottages by the road. I was told it was a black school. That's it. That's all. Keep driving.Well, we don't go down Highway 70 anymore to get to Raleigh. We fly down the highway, barely noticing the blur of the brown highway sign noting the Charlotte Hawkins Brown Memorial. I've thought about it, but never stopped to take a look again. We're always flying by too fast, late for another meeting somewhere else.
Well, as luck would have it, work gave me an opportunity to revisit this vague memory and learn a little bit about this mysterious place. NC Department of Cultural Resources is working hard to breathe new life into this campus, the Palmer Memorial Institute. I got a chance a couple of weeks ago to walk around the campus, browse through the architectural renovation plans for several of the buildings and walk through Dr. Brown's home, which is staged exactly as is was when Dr. Brown lived there in the 1940's.
I love old buildings. I find them fascinating and just for this, I would love the opportunity to be a part of the renovation of this campus. But... when I think of what this woman did and when she did it, I am humbled.
Think of this...
It's 1901.
You're a teacher in rural North Carolina.
The powers that be decide to close the school where you work.
You decide to open your own school.
In 1902, you open the doors.
You are female.
You are African American.
You are 18 years old.
Can you imagine the determination?
I hope our little team wins this job. Our part will be small in the grand scheme of things but it will be exciting to be a part of the revitalization of this campus. If we don't win it, I am grateful for the opportunity to stop flying down I-40 and drive down Highway 70 once again; this time stopping to walk through the old mysterious buildings...walking through a place where a dream came true.
Learn more about Dr. Brown and Palmer Memorial Institute here.
8 comments:
I was blog surfing and came across yours....I hope you don't mind me stopping by. I think what you wrote was wonderful!! My Dad grew up in Hendersonville, NC. I know the areas your talking about. Thanks for sharing!! I think it is wonderful that they are turning an old building into something MORE wonderful!! Have a great day!!
Kariann
How exciting! I'm so glad to know that the building might be renovated; it would be a shame to allow it to disappear. Good luck with your part in this worthy project!
Wow...how cool! You know I love old buildings too...they are much more of a challenge to renovate than new ones are to build, but they hold a history that you can almost breathe in. I love that sense of connectedness to the past...and this one I'm sure holds all of that in great measure. I hope y'all get the project!! It would be a fun one to follow progress...good luck!!
I had no idea, I've seen the sign but never really thought about it. Wow. Determination personified, that's Dr. Brown. Thanks for the heads-up and the lesson. I hope you get the bid.
Awwwww....thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!!! I was SO thrilled to hear from you!! I hope we can beocme great friends. Have a great night and thanks again for your sweet comment...you are welcomed over to my place anytime ((SMILE))
Kariann
Women are so strong. We truly do rule the world.
It is amazing the things overlooked on the old highways and byways. Dr. Brown's life would make an excellent inspirational movie.
I too can't believe its been 25 years since college!
And no air conditioning, we are spoiled these days and forget how many before us had to sacrifice.
Good Post Salem Stitcher
Post a Comment