I let our guild program chair talk me into speaking at tonight's guild meeting. Many years ago I did this speech for Toastmaster called "It's Not a Blanket". Through the marvels of a small town grapevine, I ended up giving the speech at the local guild and then many times after that at various guilds around the state. People, especially quilters, seem to think it's funny and I guess it is but I figured everyone had heard it and it was getting old to me. The first time the program chair asked me to give the talk, I said no. The second time, I gave in. It's hard to say no to this woman...she's a wonderful lady and would give you the moon if she could reach it.
So here I was...on a Monday night after a long weekend...which meant it was a REALLY long Monday. Tired, cranky and out of practice, I'm giving this tired old speech one more time. Man, I was dreading it. Oh well, it's July. Everyone will be on vacation and it will be a skeleton crew at the meeting.
It was packed.
So I got up there and started talking. I told the old stories and added new stuff. That thing about public speaking getting easier with practice is true but it really helps to have friends in the crowd to pick on and to lean on. My husband has never heard this speech which is probably a good thing. I didn't pick on him very much tonight but I usually do. (He's and easy target like most husbands.) I got to pick on Soul Sister's husband instead. That's what he gets for calling a quilt a blanket and for his innovative dinner choices.
'In the end, what I was dreading so much turned out to be big fun. Lots of folks were laughing which made me laugh. I walked out the door a lot happier than when I walked in the door. That's always a good thing.
'
What does the picture have to do with the story? Nothing. I don't like entries without pictures.
'
This is me surveying near Sunset Beach. My DH took the picture because he knew people at work wouldn't believe him.
.jpg)
5 comments:
I can't remember the last time I have laughed that hard, my ribs still ache this morning. Your presentation was funny and entertaining and you seemed so confident, cool and relaxed. Who would have known you weren't? Thanks for all that you do, friend. I wish now that I'd taken your picture while you were wrapped in your wubbie... but it's always good to see you at your day job, too!
It was a great speech and you did a great job. I was a little worried you weren't going to bring up the Spam and Creamed Corn, but you did! Usually the things we worry about and dread the most turn out fine. And then we've wasted all that time worrying and dreading. But we do it anyway. I'm glad you did. (And I was one of the crowd who hadn't heard your speech before)
I hadn't heard the speech either! Thanks for being willing to get up and share. It used to be hard for me...but as I age I guess I care less ;)
I thought it was FABULOUS!!Funny and entertaining...I'll smile over that one for a long time. I'd like to send a copy to my friend that keeps calling her baby quilt a BLANKET (and I spent vacation time making that one!)Sigh.
Loved the speech. Job well done.
Post a Comment