Last week the family gathered again to celebrate that life of another of our matriarchs. Mama Dot, my Dad's aunt, was, as they say, a card. She was married to my Grandpa's brother for 57 years before he passed many years ago. He, like my grandpa, was a quiet man. Mama Dot made sure to fill the silence with joy and laughter. I'll never forget her telling me she was remarrying a man from a town 40 minutes away. They were companions she said and must get married because it wouldn't suit for them to live together.
She was 80 at the time.
If that doesn't give you hope for good things to come, I don't know what would.
7 comments:
Hope for good things to come... I love that; yes, everyday is a new hope and more good things to come!
Life is GOOD!
I hope *I* do something when I'm 80 that wouldn't "suit" and knocks the gossipers to there knees! Thanks for paving the way, Mama Dot!
:c)
I love the picture. She looks like some of the womenfolk in my family--all strong,funny, loving, wonderful women who knew what the right thing was and did it! I"m glad you had her in your life.
Mike had a Aunt that didn't marry until she was in her late 70's even though she dated a man many many years. When he got sick she decided to marry him so she could care for him and others wouldn't think they were "shacking up"
Love her spirit and I am sure it helped give you some of yours...
Love that picture and your remembrances of her! What a special lady she was.
My mom always said when she got old she was going to dye her hair red and go to the racetracks. She didn't live to be old...so I guess I'll be the one to carry that through. ;)
They say well behaved women seldom make history...
Your recollections are so tender and loving... All most welcome. How lucky we are to have families so rich in character and personality!
I am reminded of one of my all time favorite quilts... Yours. Your "family tree" with names on the leaves. I hope you post it sometime in this series of reminiscence. Thanks for these stories. B
what a character! she looks like a fantastic lady :)
Post a Comment