A bit over ten years ago, when David and I decided we'd get married, we were planning on a quiet little wedding, you know...just barely over going to the courthouse at lunch time. I had, in the very beginning thought I'd have a big wedding with bridesmaids and all that but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted for many reasons.
My Aunt Dianne was not going to allow that.
She made decorations for the little chapel at our church and for the picnic shelter where we had a big pig picking for the reception. She made favors from little terra cotta pots. She threw a wedding shower for me. She made me feel special. She's a combination Fairy Godmother and Southern Martha Stewart.
My Aunt Nancy lives in Florida and came to visit a few weeks before the wedding. This is about the time that Aunt Dianne discovered that I didn't have a wedding dress. I was planning on buying a suit or something off the rack. Being a very large (tall and wide) girl, I really didn't think a wedding dress was in the cards for me.
Well, nether aunt was going to allow that.
I had a roll of lavender fabric that I had, at one point, thought I'd have someone make bridesmaids dresses from. My aunts took that and recruited their mother who was in her day an incredible seamstress, and after a couple hilarious evenings at Dianne's house, I had a wedding dress.
See what I mean about being blessed to have these women in my corner?
(and yes, I've lost a little weight since my wedding day...thank you for noticing)

7 comments:
What great women you've been blessed with! I'm glad they didn't let you just go get married on your lunch hour...it sounded like very special day and you looked beautiful!
Seems like I was just getting to know you soon after you got married...when we were doing the quilt show at South Fork. :)
Your family really has a real gift for demonstrating love! Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories. B
You were truly a beautiful bride...what a great story :)
I love this story! I too have a very strong aunt who cherishes me and who keeps me grounded. What a gift these women are. blessings, marlene
How sweet that they would do all that for you.....you have a wonderful family!
So glad you have such wonderful women in your family... what a fabulous wedding day, what lovely memories!
What a terrific cloud of loving women to hover over you on your most special of all days... I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment