You know those little cans of compressed air?
Don't use them to blow the lint out of your machine.
The lint has nowhere to go, you see...except deeper into your machine.
Here's a machine I saw earlier this week. It's not an old machine and was serviced just a year ago. The outside and the bobbin case area was clean as whistle. But, the inside...the part the user can't get to (or shouldn't get to) was covered in lint. The owner had been "cleaning her machine with canned air.
Here's the back view...
and the front view...
The canned air blows the lint and threads all the way to the handwheel and can cause all kinds of problems like binds, impeding your feed dogs, not to mention soaking up all the oil.
This is the top of the machine just under the bobbin winder. Lint and threads around the circuit boards can cause damage to the boards...cha-ching!
All that lint in there can cause tension problems and can cause your thread to not loop properly - no loop means no stitch.
Here's just part of what I pulled out of this machine.
WE can used canned air because we see your machine naked.
38 comments:
Great advice. Thanks for the "in"sight! : )
Who knew!
Always wondered if that wouldn't happen and you have shown the evidence! I use a little vacuum thingy that sucks it out the messies in between service visits.
ACK!!!!
Point taken!
This is such an important posting ... and I hope everyone listens. Your machine could catch fire from the lint build up. Cleanings are sooooo important and canned air should be used for dusting the table the machine sits on, not the machine. Thanks for this shout out. Judy C
I have always heard that, but never have seen the evidence. WOW!
I don't usually use the canned air but the ones I see use it continually at retreats are 2 friends that used to work in the service area of our LQS. Guess they can take their machines apart so they probably aren't too worried about that. Good to know!
Thanks for the advice, Lisa... I've not used canned air b/c I know I'm not supposed to but... I have been tempted. I've also considered trying to open up my machine but haven't figured out how to yet... *lol* Guess I'll just have to leave it to my machine tech...
:)
Cool photos of the inside of the machine... it's amazing how the lint can accumulate!
You have done a great service by posting this. Nothing runs as well as a clean, lint free, well-oiled machine. That super-duper lint brush that I got during the shop hop is the best, thanks for bringing it to my attention!
I just spammed the quiltville friends fb page with this post...All that lint made me wanna gag! Keep up with posting this kind of stuff, we NEED IT!!
Loved spending the day with you yesterday ---
Thanks for passing the tip along. What a mess!
That just makes so much sense. I have never used canned air on my machine. I use a very small paintbrush and cotton swabs. I remove lint every two bobbins. And just like my Mother who used to clean her house BEFORE the cleaning service came, I too super clean my machine before taking it in for service. I want to impress the tech on how clean a sewer I am. And cheap thread also makes more lint!
XOXOXOXO Subee
I put the vacuum hose up to mine after I use the brush. Tis better to suck it out than blow it in deeper.
Hear, hear!
I think everyone should learn how to clean their own machine. Or take it in to get serviced once a month, if they use it often.
Oh my... and dh just gave me a new can of air for Christmas (yes I wanted one LOL)
Thank you, I always knew I used a lint brush for a reason.
Debbie
Thank you, I always knew I used a lint brush for a reason.
Debbie
Yes, My tech said NO canned air! But he did say you could use the vacuum that is made for computers to suck the stuff out... and he recommended I purchase one (about20-30 dollars). My son, the computer geek, says you should suck out your computer, too. Only use the canned air on your keyboard!
Thank you for the tip!
I don't know about that machines need to be services once a month, but definitely at least once a year or so, depending on how much you use yours. I clean mine with a paintbrush and I clean out the bobbin area every pre-wound bobbin, or every other at the most. There is always a ton of lint that brushes out. I have started using Aurifil thread and find that I have much less lint. Now if they would just make pre-wound bobbins it would be so nice, as I hate to wind bobbins
I've noticed that old thread - whatever it is made of - leaves a lot more lint than fresh thread.
If you store your thread out in the open, it might be a good idea to cover it - either with a plastic self stick tape or a 'thread sock' - I used to use the kids old socks - cut the cuffs off & wrapped them around the cones of thread... but kids are all grown up now... may have to resort to the thrift store!
I thought those areas were sealed, guess its time for an annual
I bought one of the teeny tiny little vacuum attachments that connect to your vacuum. It also works great
for the refrigerator and the air flow at the bottom behind that little grate.
You look at my Bernie Naked?? WOW!
Thanks for the advice. I'm a brusher and cleaner, but mine is probably due for a service job too.
definitely a great post! I too always clean my Janome every other bobbin with a paint brush. Never used the air. Thanks so much!
I knew you should not use the compressed air, but the pictures are so much more convincing. Thanks for that post.
YIKES!!! I'm glad I don't use canned air, but I have a bad habit of "blowing the lint away," which isn't as forceful as canned air, but probably just as damaging... Thank you for this post!
:)
I've been instructed to use canned air in class's I have taken. Can't always believe what your told.
Well, I guess I'm the only one who's cheap. I don't spend money on canned air as long as I can blow some air. I guess I'll stop doing that on my machine. Those photos are ugly.
Interesting...although I wished they would make sewing machines like my toaster...a lid on the bottom for all the crumbs to fall out of.
That is some nasty looking lint! I don't use canned air. It's amazing what it can do!
How big a deal is it if we open our own machine to clean out the lint? No- I don't use canned air and I clean well - but it drives me nuts when the dealer tells me I can't open it up and get into the nooks and crannies.
One of the reasons I still love my old mechanical machines.
wow! that is amazing at all the lint just from a year of sewing. I don't use canned air because I was warned about it when I got my machine many years ago.
Great post. I've been an industrial sewer for years and do all my own cleaning. But now I have a delima. I have a Janome10k emb./ sew machine. I know there is some frayed threads up in the upper tension, but i can't get them out. I've had it into two different shops and first one replaced my bobbin casing the other tried to sell me another new bobbin casing and I keep telling them it's in my upper tension disks. It just won't hold a good upper tension no matter what I do. My lower tension is fine. I am so frustrated. I ran a soft Velcro gently in-between my upper tension disks and it did help by about 60%, but I am certain there is more in there. I can't see it and can't get in there other then taking the machine apart. And I'm just about to that point - unless there is something else I can run up in there that won't damage anything and might grab what ever is still there.
Thanks for the advice. After using 5 bobbins I clean my machine with the vacuum cleaner, never blow anything in the machine.
Warm regards from Holland,
Marga♥
Post a Comment