
Back in July, I found myself at a crossroads. I made a decision to quit pursuing something I had always thought I wanted. I have not regretted that decision for one moment and I do believe it was absolutely the best decision for me.
I believe God thought so too.
This, my friends, is no exaggeration: I crafted the final email tendering my resignation. I sat for a moment contemplating. I hit the "send" button. I got up from my computer and went to check the mail. In the mail was a letter from my church calling me to become a deacon.
Did you just see God wink at me?
I did.
There was no contemplation, no weighing of time commitments, no discussion with my poor husband.
There was only an "of course I'll do it".
So, this Sunday after a nomination and acceptance, a congregational nod and vote, weeks of classes, a very friendly exam and acceptance by the Session, our class of deacons and elders was installed and ordained.
Installed as in standing in front of the congregation and answering "I will" and "I do" to many questions of what we believe and what we will do and how we will serve.
Ordained as in kneeling on the steps as current and former officers lay their hands on us and invest the authority and responsibility of the church in us.
Kneeling there...on the steps of the Chancel...with the hands of others on my shoulders...hearing the prayer...surrounded and humbled...
profound is an understatement.
It was an unexpected moment.
And suddenly it is well, it is well, with my soul.
10 comments:
When God closes a window, He opens a door.
how exciting for you...congrats!!!
well, you'll never walk alone!
leaving imprints of love will give you more than hope, leaving imprints of faith will multiply faith, like a farmer that went out to sow and saw his crop multiplied by trust.
G'ds hugs all around!
Irene from Amsterdam
You are in my prayers for support and encouragement every step of this new journey you have embarked upon! Well done, my good and faithful friend, well done! Yep, God winked alright. ;)
God often whispers to us and we have to struggle to hear because our ears and hearts aren't open. When we want to hear, He is so constanlty our companion and we can have great conversations and complete understanding. What an awesome relationship you have.
You made the best choice!Congratulations...I know many people and your church will be blessed by your service.
I love it when God winks :)
In the long run, this office and the service it requires will be much more meaningful to you than that other. They made a good choice!
I'm reading this so so so late because I've been gone! But I have tears in my eyes and I am SO SO SO proud of you!!
*hugs*
Bonnie
Congratulations and may God bless your service.
Awesome, Congratulations!
Post a Comment