
Once upon a time back in the 80's when I had big hair and bigger earrings, I met a guy. We worked in the same office for a while then I took a job with an engineering consulting firm. Then, we dated for a bit. I thought he was the greatest thing since banana bread. Tall, dark, handsome, svelte, blue eyes, smart, funny, NC State fan. What else could a girl want?
Well...someone who wouldn't dump me for the first frizzy-headed bleach-blond Mercedes-driving flight attendant that crossed his path, that's what.
For years (21 to be exact), I loathed this man with a passion surpassed by few things. If I heard his name in the coarse of a conversation, I would growl...sometimes out loud.
For 21 years I envisioned a reunion with him where we'd run into each other somewhere. The scene involved me slapping the mess out of him and him confessing he made the biggest mistake of his life by letting me go.
(I know I have issues. But you've got to understand, this was the one and only guy to ever dump me...ever. I am a prideful bit of work, you see.)
Then, one day two years ago, I was at a conference and saw him. I didn't recognize him at first. He's still a lot of those things he was before, just not as much. His dark hair is now gray...what's not missing anyway. His impact on me was not as riveting as it once was. I saw him just as he was...a person I once knew and liked.
So, I walked right up to him and said hello. It was a lot like walking up to a personal demon - a courageous and slightly insane but empowering act.
He immediately jumped up and hugged me like a long lost friend.
And then, just like that, I realized all that hate that I harbored for 21 years had done nothing but hurt me. He had no idea. He had gone on with his life and looked at me as an old friend.
I looked back at him the same way.
Forgiveness is a great thing. It is a weight lifted off my shoulders. It allows me to enjoy an old friendship that was once lost.
At the same conference this year, Robbie was supposed to present in the technical session I coordinate. There's a rule though that the presenter has to write a paper not just make a presentation. He didn't write the paper and I had to pull his presentation. I even told him I'd write the paper for him but he didn't take me up on it.
Well, it was accepted at a national conference and he called me to help him. So, this is how I ended up writing a paper for an old flame. Even I'm sitting here wondering why I would do this for anyone much less someone I spent 21 years wishing I had a voodoo doll to curse him with.
So, of course, while I am finishing up this paper, I lose my job. I let a bunch of folks know through facebook not to use the company phone or email anymore.
Monday, a former co-worker calls and says a mutual friend is looking for me and I need to call him. This mutual friend is a study buddy from grad school who is now VP of an engineering company in Raleigh.
So I call him.
He heard I was no longer with my firm and he wants me to come work with him. No I don't have to move. Yes, I can do what I loved about my former job (without the drama). Yes, we can do it part time.
How did you hear I was gone, I asked.
He asks, how in the world do you know Robbie.
It's a long story, my friend, but it has a good ending.
See how God works?
19 comments:
I LOVE this !!!!!
Oh my gosh I am SO happy for you and wow.... the power of forgiveness!
isn't life a funny and wonderful ride? great story :)
As my mother always said, "never burn bridges"!!!!! What an awesome story.
Sooo happy for you!
You see how Hugging Helps!
Strange connection: in the Netherlands on the rim of the most used coin, there is written: "God be with us", and so it is! Whenever a door closes, another one is opened up wide ;^}
love, Irene from Amsterdam
What a wonderful post... and what wonderful news! I am so happy for you!!!
Terrific post and even more wonderful, fantastic news!! YAY! Life is Good and GOD is even GOODER.
I am SOOOOO happy for you!To have some peace of mind so quickly is a blessing. So fast in fact that slow poke me didn't get an email off to tell you to enjoy your "break" because it goes quickly! Everyone recognizes phenomenal when they see her!! Another Big Hug!
Fantastic! I knew that window was gonna open wide.
Awesome story...and great new begining. Glad this gives you a little safety net, keeps your toes in the engineering waters, and leaves options wide open for all other avenues.
I am so-o-o happy for you. My heart was warmed by your post. For every door that is closed...a new one opens. :)
Yes, yes. One of the many things I like about this story is the time line....Ia real hallmark of God's handiwork I think. Thanks for sharing this great encouragement.
Wowzer! Go figure....
I have goosebumps! What a fantastic story - I;m so happy for you!
I got goosebumps. Am happy for you! And, all the other people that you touch in many ways! Liz
(a lurker)
What a wonderful story of pain and healing. Old friends are the best friends.
I just love God's sense of humor. :) blessings, marlene
Our God is so awesome!! and he didn't even make you wait and wonder very long! Glad for the reminder to you and ALL brothers and sisters in the family of God...keep the faith.
I'm up at 4:22am....I'm catching up on your doings because you have been on my heart! I've read the last several posts (because I have been so very absent and behind) just riveted...
This post really touched my heart, made me smile, and made me think....
There are some things that have eaten me for years that I've never let go either. Maybe it is time....
See you soon!
Bonnie
Post a Comment