Monday, November 30, 2009

Holiday Kick-Off

Years ago, I always got an early start on preparing for the holidays. I always had most of my shopping done my Thanksgiving. I always spent Thanksgiving Sunday putting my tree up and getting my little apartment decorated. I always had time to sit back and enjoy the holidays - first with my friends - going to see the holiday shows and concerts, then with my family once I came home for Christmas break.

For eight years of college and five years of State employment, I was in holiday heaven.

Then, I became a grown-up with a private-sector job...a career, if you will.

As a matter of fact, until last year, we had not put up a Christmas tree in 4 years.

My mother was mortified. She actually started wondering if I was really her child. Christmas is BIG in our family. I'd be willing to bet we have more decorations than the North Pole itself. I was a senior in high school the last time I sat on Santa's lap for a photo. Santa came to our house until I was 30.

Seriously.

But I digress. Back to present day...

For some reason, in spite of a hellacious schedule at work, this year has come together when the past few years have not.

As of this past Thanksgiving weekend, I have:

  • 80% of my homemade presents finished
  • 90% of the gifts bought
  • 85% of the gifts wrapped
  • gotten the tree up and decorated
  • hung the stockings (including a new enormous stocking for Miss Shelby)
  • purchased tickets for The Nutcracker for this weekend
  • made plans to meet my mom and nephews for the Salem Candle Tea.


Go ahead.

Call me names.

I can take it.

10 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're my hero!

Ann S said...

Can you come help me??

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I am sooo happy that you got the Christmas Mood back--you are doing beautifully--keep on going gal!!!
Hugs, Di

Nane said...

I have most of my shopping done too. Probably something to do with not working!!!

Nane said...

I have most of my shopping done too. Probably something to do with not working!!!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Splendidly wonderful!! I'm still wishing for Betweenber, that magical 2 week spacer between November and December...alas, it comes not. I guess I'd best get on with the decorating around here!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wow! And again I say, Wow! I have my tree up. This weekend I hope to get up the rest of the decorations. Next week I'll try to buy presents for grandchildren. Maybe. blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSHHHH! You are so ready girl! I wish I was as prepared :o(

julieQ said...

Oh, I am proud of you! I know that tree wall hanging...I made it too! Mine is badly quilted and in a basket...somewhere. I think I will have to resurrect it! Thank you for the reminder.

Unknown said...

SHOWOFF!