Saturday, July 4, 2009

Clara

It's been a long week.

We got THAT call late Sunday night that Grandma was in the hospital and not doing well.

We've been expecting it for a very long time.

Alzheimer's had finally decided to take away a vital signal, one that she needed to live, not just to exist. It's been taking away the signals for existing for 10 years...you know the ones that tell her who she is, who we are, where she is, when she is.

It's been a week of sitting in the hospice room with the rest of the family, watching her slowly cross over. It's been a week long family reunion, of seeing cousins I haven't seen in 20 years, of meeting their grown children and reminiscing about the days when we grew up together on Sundays at Grandma's house.

On my way back to the hospital on Thursday, I got THAT call.

She's gone.

I pull off the highway and sit and think for a few minutes. Then I went on to be with my family.

Yes, I'm sad. But, I am also happy for her. Right now, she is with God and her family that passed before her.

She knows who she is.

She knows where she is.

She's probably fixing a big pot of chicken and dumplings for Grandpaw right now.

About Clara...

12 comments:

onlymehere said...

I love your final sentence. I believe too that life goes on after this one. God bless you at this time. My father had Alzheimer's and it's a painful thing to watch but now she is free from that and free to make those dumplings. Once again, my deepest sympathies for your loss. Cindy

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. She is happy in her heavenly home now, living with God and singing with the angels. I am sending you hugs for strength and support through these difficult days.

Darlene said...

I'm so sorry for your loss however you're absolutely right she's much happier and full of joy!

Nane said...

This is a sad way to watch a loved one depart, but no doubt she is in a better place and I hope you and your family are comforted by all the great memories in the days to come. God Bless

Nancy said...

Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Carrie P. said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. There is comfort knowing that she is with the Lord. Hugs and Prayers for you and your family.

Teresa said...

Its so hard to watch those that are dear to us decline in health and lose the ability to do the things they enjoy and that make them who they are. I will pray for your peace and God's comfort while you deal with your grief.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but what a comfort to her and you all that she could be surrounded by family. I hope your memories of her will bring you comfort in the days ahead.

{{{hugs}}}}

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

A bittersweet post, friend. So hard to lose a loved one. And yet you write about how wonderful to be with family and reconnect at this time. I've always loved that part of loss and funerals -- the reconnecting, usually over a lunch in the church basement! Hugs to you.

Tipper said...

I'm so sorry about Clara-but so glad you have such peace about it.

Latane Barton said...

My heart cries for you. Alzheimers is indeed an awful life to live, not only for the person with it but everyone who loves them. I know Grandmaw is resting gently in the arms of her Lord.

What a wonderful way to honor your Grandmaw.... to make the family tree quilt. I know she'd be awfully proud of you for doing it.

StitchinByTheLake said...

My heart hurts for your loss but rejoices at your sure knowledge of where your grandmother is. May God send you His strength and His peace. blessings, marlene