Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Big Girls' Club

For years, I have given my mother grief about her eyesight. We would be out shopping and my job was to follow her around, reading price tags and labels because she couldn't see the fine print. I thought she was too vain to get glasses.

I understand now that it was just easier to hand things to me to read instead of constantly putting on and taking off reading glasses.

Why do I understand this now?

Because last a couple of weeks ago at my best friend's house, I was cursing this stupid little defective needle. I couldn't even get it on the needle threader much less get the stupid defective thing threaded. Surely the eye of the needle was messed up. For goodness sake, I have never had this trouble before. The whole pack is defective. They just don't make needles the way they used to..dagnabit!

And then Laura handed me her reading glasses...with this knowing look of the sage older friend who's been there in the Land of Denial.

Oh

My

Gosh!

Would you look at that...

I can see my hand in front of my face again.

So, I went out and bought my very own reading glasses this week. I even bought a very cool chain to hang them around my neck so I can find them. (What makes the chain even cooler is I found out after I bought it that a friend from church made it.)

I feel like I've joined a club. You know, the cool, older girl's club. The girl's with secrets. The ones that give you that look...you know the look. The one tossed over the rim of the glasses that says "Don't mess with me, kid. You don't know enough to take on this old girl. I will chew you up and spit you out like a bad seed."

I love that look.

My mom's been giving it to me over her reading glasses for years....which is why I've never minded following her around reading price tags and labels. I KNOW who I'm dealing with there.

And my best friend who handed me her glasses?

Well, she has that look down.

I'm tellin' ya.... it's a club...a big girl's club.

And I'm in it.

Finally.

And proudly.

10 comments:

onlymehere said...

Wow, I never knew that I belonged to a club!! This was such a cute way to phrase this in your post. Congrats on joining the club, or should that be....sorry you joined the club? Cindy

StitchinByTheLake said...

I got my readers years ago and have changed "sizes" a couple of times already. It's almost like going from a "AA" cup to a "D"! :) The older I get the more magnification I need but I surely do love my readers and have them scattered in every room of the house. I've found that in a pinch those $1 at The Dollar Tree do just fine so there's a pair on the dryer, a pair beside each phone, a pair on the back of the "necessary." Oops, too much information! blessings, marlene

quiltkeemosabe said...

Congratulations (???) on finally making the club. But I hate to tell you I think there is another level to shoot for: Those who have gone beyond the readers, gotten regular glasses--you know those ones with the little line in the middle, the dreaded B word--bifocals-gasp! because they were amazed by what all they'd been missing in the distance too and after enjoying their new great vision for awhile---and are now back using readers all over again because there are just sometimes when the bifocals don't cut it!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your new lovely glasses on your new lovely chain. Just don't wait too long or I might not be able to see it without my lighted magnifyer!!!!!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

...then there are those of us who are blind coming and going....but no-line bifocals are great!! I took a needle and thread to the eye doctor and said "I can read, what I need to be able to do is THIS!" :-)

welcome to the club...it is a nice place to be, this place of knowing!

Nane said...

We joined about the same time. I was waiting for a prescription before my trip to Colorado and just for laughs I tried on some 1.0powered reading glasses and WOW things became clearer. Even better when I looked through the 1.25. If thats what it take to keep threading needles, I guess its worth it.

MJMR said...

Welcome to the club. It is still hard trying to keep up with them! So-o-o I now have them lying all over the house and in every purse. When you reach this stage you KNOW you are a Life time member.

Quilting Memories said...

I must be the president, not only do I have the reading glasses everywhere, but also a pair of "expensive"bi-focals that I now wear most of the time......now the eye Dr. is telling me I have cataracs and must have surgery....I don't think I want to belong to this club.....I surely am NOT getting OLD!!!! NOT ME!!! LOL

antique quilter said...

oh yes I joined this club too

LauraQuilts said...

Ha hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Carrie P. said...

Well, I didn't know there was a big girl club but I have been a part of it for a while. So glad you are too. It is all good.