Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coping

We all cope with loss in different ways.


Some cry.


Some laugh.


Some scream.


Some pray.


Some curse.


Some are silent.


Some get drunk.


Some eat.


Some need a hug.


Some hold their family close.


Some lean on their friends.


At some time in the past week, I have done all of the above (except drink...not an option for me anymore).

But most of all,


I quilt.


I decided while sitting in hospice with the family, that I would put together a memorial quilt for our family. With the passing of Grandmaw (yep, we're from the South), our extended family gathered together again for the first time in decades. It is the bittersweet side effect of death, this gathering of the clan. So, while we were all sitting there, I drew this tree.
I'm having each member that can sign a leaf and I'll complete the ones for those that can't. On the ground below the tree will be leaves representing those that have gone before. Those on the tree are those who remain. There will be blank leaves for those we have forgotten and for those not yet with us. I hope it will be a tribute to my grandparents and the lives they have created and touched.


The family seemed to like the idea. And, when it is finished, it we will have a reunion of the clan again, this time as a celebration of life more than a passing.


Another way I cope - I shop. Here's Shelby helping pick out the fabric for the tree. she's a lot of help as you can see.






11 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Hi, Shelbers! You are a great fabric holder!

Your tree-quilt idea is a fantastic one. This will be a wonderful, visual, tactile tribute for generations to come. Bless you, and your family!

quiltkeemosabe said...

The tree is a wonderful idea. A wonderful tribute and memory. Hang in there.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

What a beautiful idea!

Carol said...

What a wonderful tribute!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your loss. Dealing with loss here this week too. I am going to be doing memorial quilts for my father, who passed 4 years ago, and I think your tree idea is lovely. I may try to do something similar after I am done with the memorial quilts. Thank you for the lovely idea.

Nancy said...

What an incredible idea!!!!! I look forward to hearing about your journey in this project and seeing it when it is completed.

Hugs!!!

Nane said...

What a nice legacy and a great way to get the younger ones involved in learning more about their roots. Sounds like they are deep and strong. I know its been a tough week, hang in there. Love Ya

Teresa said...

What a beautiful idea. I will look forward to seeing what you come up with as the finished project.

Carrie P. said...

Oh, the tree is such a neat idea but kind of sad about the leaves on the ground. But what a sweet memory of your family.

Tipper said...

Oh I love the tree idea-very neat!

Dana said...

Lovely tribute and reason to come together. Just beautiful!