Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rainy Days and Trains


I'm sitting in my office. It's very quiet because the guys next to me are all out of town. It is raining like crazy outside and I have a skylight just outside my door. It's almost as good as the tin roof that was outside my bedroom window growing up. I love rainy days. I've always done good work on rainy days. So, today, I'm working away, listening to the rain and a little Pink Flyod, Eric Clapton, Steely Dan, Grateful Dead shuffle on my iTunes. Not far off in the distance, a train sounds off. Suddenly, I am 20 years old again...in my dorm room at NC State listening to the train blast by my window in the rain with a little Pink Floyd on the turntable...and I'm analyzing data from a hydraulic model...just like today.


Some things change...some things don't.


Thank God for both and for rainy days and trains that remind me from whence I come.


4 comments:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

The only thing better would have been sewing...
:-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I was downtown yesterday and experienced that rain... nary a drop nor drizzle at our home, though. Strange. I experience those transporting experiences, too; thanks for sharing yours!

Nane said...

I always liked loud Rock to study math by too.... But for some reason when I am planning Underwear production I mix a little mix of Josh Groban/Bluegrass/Ray Charles/Barbara Striesand Duets.

Tipper said...

I love rainy days too-and we haven't had nearly enough this year! Loved this post.