Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hocus Pocus

Once upon a time there was a sweet quilt shop owner. Though on the outside, she appeared to be a kind, sweet lady, on the inside she was a wicked hand embroiderer. She used her fine stitches and beautiful handwork to lure innocent quilters to do things they never thought they would do. She would tempt them with kind words and hand dyed embroidery floss while they toiled away their nights making tiny stitches and colonial knots and fly stitches. In the end the quilters would find that instead of the humming of the sewing machine, they would listen to silence in the wee hours of the morning while they created a little embroidered pumpkin...all the while thinking..."I am NOT getting into handwork. I am NOT doing anything this tedious again. I have BIG quilts to make!"



Ahhh... but the wicked embroidery witch is cunning. She has put a spell on the quilter who quickly realizes how calming it is to wile away the evenings in a big chair under a quilt with a puppy asleep in her lap while she makes tiny little stitches. The spell runs deep because once the pumpkin is done, she misses the handwork and binding quilts is just not enough to satisfy her anymore.



So even though she's been so good all year and hasn't been buying new projects, she hears the wicked embroidery witch say "go to Crabapple Hill..."



...and she does...not knowing this is the coven's lair...



...and she sees a pattern and she knows she is bewitched...



...she clicks off the website really REALLY fast because SHE IS NOT BUYING ANYTHING.



But it was too late.



The spell is cast.



For weeks, in the back of her mind was a little green voice...



hocus pocus, hocus pocus, hocus pocus



The quilter is lured back in and as if controlled by another, she clicks the button and a week later..
'
...the pattern is in her mailbox...



...and far off in the distance...she can hear a wicked little giggle...



"you should have never taken the pumpkin for now your are mine..."
'

Welcome to Hocuspocusville!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! You are so funny.. that was perfect. A perfect description of how hand embroidery is really REALLY contagious. Maybe that cackle you heard came from my house because I have the same spell cast... At least you stopped at 1... I bought all 3 (Hocus Pocus, Winter Wonderland, AND Over The River).

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Enjoyed the story! Good luck with these stitcheries and NPNT and .....
LOL Need I say more? cheers, QGB

quiltkeemosabe said...

That story was wonderful!!!! But it was a little scarey, too! Now that you've been taken in by the evil embroiderer will you be looking for others to join you in the spell??? Remind me not to sit too close to you! What did I do with those magic protective potions and charms?????????!!!!!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

GIRL! Snap out of it, you have sleeves to sew!!! I'm going to go throw water on the evil embroiderer...luring an innocent quilter...put down that needle!!!

(Oh, and she must be related to the evil punch-needler who lured me in...WAHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaa!)

Hand work is great, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you've bought!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have Hocuspocusville, too, and Winter Wonderland, and Over The River. Once the spell is cast you're doomed! blessings, marlene

Quilting Memories said...

I, too, have Winter Wonderland, have 3 more designs to do. am doing these in Red, I plan to do another set in blue, and someday make quilts with both.Haven't checked out Crabapple hill lately, maybe I should just stay away **VBS**.That would probebly be the smart thing to do, and I have never been accused of being smart !!! Bobbin

Nane said...

Ohh, but as long as the embroidery ends up on a quilt, we can rationalize it right. This quilt is quite striking!

Tipper said...

Sounds like you've really been caught in the web.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

...and she look so innocent, they're the worst, their webs are spun from steel threads and there's no escaping... If it's any consolation, the quilt is AMAZING!

I need to go and fashion a necklace from garlic cloves.