Friday, September 19, 2008

The Good and Evil of Birks

Anyone who has spent any time in a pair of Birkenstocks knows they are the best thing in the whole wide world to put on your feet. They have arch support. They have toe support. They mold themselves to your feet. They are easy on...easy off...my favorite part.

Those are a few of the good things.

I LOVE my Birks. All of them. Other than a couple of pairs of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots (don't laugh, Nane!), all I wear are Birks...ever. I wear them every day to do every thing. No one dares say to me "You really should invest in a pair of nice dress shoes". No one is looking at my feet or if they are they never say a word. I imagine they are thinking "I wish I had those on instead of these pumps (or these wingtips)." I hope they think "good for her". Perhaps they think I am more intelligent than the average bear. I know I am more comfortable.

But...

Today I splurged on a pedicure. I have not had one since January when the big cutbacks happened. I splurged today because my mother said I could and I always do what my mother tells me to do...especially if it's something fun.

Seeing that it's been so long since I had a pedicure, my feet were a disaster. I think if I dipped them in a vat of lotion and left them there all night, they would still be dry and cracked. I cannot fight it on my own, which is why I started to get pedicures in the first place. I couldn't care less if my toenails are pink. No one sees them anyway except people who love me...unless I'm sewing. I can't sew on a sewing machine with a shoe on. I've noticed this is not uncommon.

I digress.

So, today I had a pedicure. I went to a different spa that had high reviews and had, of all things, a male pedicurist. He was not what you would expect. He was a good ol' Southern boy complete with baseball cap and a deer painting on the wall. He wasn't much of a talker, which is fine with me. I'm not either (writer, yes; talker, no). Let me tell you one thing....that was the best daggone pedicure I have EVER had. He worked and worked and worked and my feet feel like a baby's behind. It was worth every penny.

Now, here comes the evil part. He tells me my Birks are causing my heels to crack and my feet to be so dry. He says the rawhide soaks up all the moisture in my feet. He says I need to stop wearing them and my feet will be 80% better. Awww man! I knew it! Or, at least I've had a sneaking suspicion that wearing leather shoes and no socks was causing the problem.

So he puts those funny little foam flip flops on my feet and paints my toenails pink. He says "All done", picks up my Birks and says "Want me to throw these out for you?" and laughs at the look of horror on my face.

Funny boy.

Maybe I'll start wearing my hiking boots every day. NOW there's a fashion statement!

7 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm with you - it's birks for me! I had major pain on the bottoms of my feet and could barely walk at all until I invested in Birkenstocks. And I do mean invest because that's a lot of $ on a retirement income. Now I have 4 pairs and plan to buy 2 more this fall. I use a wonderful foot cream at night and put on socks for an hour and it helps tremendously. I use Arbonne brand but I'm sure there are other good lotions. Try it - it works. blessings, marlene

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love your Birks, have never had a pair but wear my Merrells in the winter and, then, slowly ease into my Rainbow flipflops as soon as it's warm enough. As the seasons change I reverse the order. Anyway, I digress... I use Neutrogena cracked heel formula EVERY day and then top off with socks until it's all absorbed. It's made a world of difference. I'm sure your pink-tipped piggies are very pretty!!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

You just tell him to BACK AWAY from the Birks! Do the cream and sock routine at night...better yet, have your DH give you foot rubs!

Anonymous said...

AAHHH That explains my HORRENDOUSLY dry, cracked, and very ugly feet! My gosh. I had no idea. I do wear socks with em too (yea that is a fashion statement) and I wonder if they still do that? Hmmm...

Mama said...

Nothing like a good pedicure, unless it's a manicure. Why won't I go more often??

Nane said...

Maybe birk will come out with a wool lined pair for winter like Merrel, they are great for soft feet. I like the shea cocoa butter from Body Shop. Slather it and keep the Birks.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I love my Birks and will never give them up. Slather on cracked heel cream and put on cotton socks for about an hour and it helps alot. QGB