Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Long Week...

Even though it's still just early Thursday morning, it has been a long week. It started this weekend when we had to go to my Dad's lake house and pack our stuff to bring it home. He's had it on the market for a while and a couple of weeks ago it suddenly sold. I'm glad for my Dad because one of the many traits we share is once we decide to do something, we want it done and over with.

I am sad for the family because this is where we could gather and still have our own space. I am sad for me because this was my haven. Our room was at the top of the house and I had a little sewing area set up where I could look out the window and see the lake or the snow or the nephews playing in the yard.

It is a beautiful house...

on a beautiful lake...


and there are lots of memories...




I cried most of the way home.

But back to the real world... work is very hectic so I'm not even going to talk about it. We had bee Monday night, which was great. We laughed a lot, which is always good and with this group it is inevitable.

Tuesday was a Women's Fund event at the Sawtooth Center. I am allegedly the Chair of the Education and Events Committee, therefore, allegedly in charge of this event. I didn't have to do much. Because the Women's Fund is part of a larger Foundation, we have a staff member dedicated to our group. She is fantastic and keeps us on track. I rarely have to do much except make a decision every now and then. On the committee is also a women who has made her life's work philanthropy. She has "event-throwing" down to a science. By the time I got away from work, they had everything under control. I just had to move some chairs and open some cracker boxes. The event was a success and we had a good crowd. Even though I didn't do much, I was exhausted by the time I got home.

Yesterday was spent on the road all day. We had two meetings and did a couple of drop-in visits to clients. (okay, so I will talk about work a little) At one of the drop-ins, the town manager wasn't in but while we were chatting with his assistant, we mentioned we were on our way to Black Mountain. She went on and on about how she loved Black Mountain. I mentioned I was going to get to spend the weekend there on a quilting retreat. "I quilt!" she exclaims. My travel companion (the CEO) says "Don't you have quilts in the car? Come on! Let's show her!" So we ended up doing a mini quilt show in the town hall parking lot. You just never know who you're gonna meet...

So, here we are finally at Thursday and as soon as I can get my stuff packed, I'm heading back up the mountain for retreat. Ahhhhhh.....

4 comments:

MJMR said...

Oh how I feel your pain about the lake house. My husband about 3 years ago, right before the housing market at N. Mrytle Beach went south, decided it was time to sell our beach house. Many, many tears fell from my blue eyes. By the time the tears were over, (the blues) where red! I still get tearly in the summer thinking about my summer (& winter) get away.
Have fun this weekend. Bring back pictures of what everyone is working on.

Quilting Memories said...

I do envy you going on retreat.... I was born in Asheville, so know the area well. I love it "up there"
Have a fun and safe trip and quilt some memories for me! J aka Bobbin

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm eager to hear about the retreat. I cried at the thought of your haven being sold, too; but then I've been known to shed quite a few sympathizing tears! I'm such a softie sometimes. Impromtu quilt shows have to be just the absolute BEST, I'm sure your quilts knocked her socks off!

Nane said...

There will be other places to make many more memories I am sure. I am sure it was like saying goodbye to an old friend.