
About a year and a half ago, I took a month off from my life and spent it at Structure House. For over 20 years, I have struggled with my weight. This was one of the more successful attempts to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight in that month and the months following...but since January, it has found me again. But that's another story.
'
The first week a "newbie" is at SH, you hang around with the other newbies. I was phenomenally lucky to begin the same week as three other people that, though we are vastly different, we became the best of friends. We supported each other, laughed with each other and at ourselves. All four of us being extremely sarcastic, we couldn't help but like each other. One came up with a nick name for the group and we became The Flab Four. (Go ahead...laugh...it is hysterical!) Though we live in 3 difference countries, we have stayed in touch. A couple of weeks ago we received an email from the KK, our London based FF member, letting us know he was returning to SH for a couple of weeks for a reality check. Out of our little group, KK has been successful, losing 91 pounds.
'
So Friday, I drove to see my FF friend that I had not seen in a year and a half. I was waiting in the hallway, a woman had stopped to talk to me about something. I really wasn't paying much attention, I hate to admit...but I was looking for KK. When he walked in the door, I stood up, we both smiled and hugged...no words...just that big, "I've missed you so much, my good friend" hug.
'
We had a wonderful visit. But, to add to the adventure, a TV crew was following him and a couple other "success stories" around. Our lunch gathering ended up with me watching him and others be interviewed, which was interesting. I managed to stay off camera during lunch. Afterwards, we had a little time to sit on the patio and catch up on life. Then off to class we went. On Friday afternoons, there is a cooking demo and every other Friday it is held by Lan, a Chinese woman that has a cooking school nearby. It is always entertaining. The picture above is KK assisting Lan with the lemon chicken. I don't think anyone warned Lan about the TV crew but she didn't skip a beat. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to stay behind the camera this time. The good thing is the show is British and no one knows me there but KK. I am hoping we can have another visit next Friday before he leaves for home. Friends are a wonderful thing.
1 comment:
I didn't know you had done that! What an awesome place to be able to go to, and it's cool that your FF group has kept in touch. KK has an inspirational success...I know first hand how hard it is to lose weight and how easy it is to slip back into old habits. Diabetes forced my hand, but it's still hard to pass up some things (chocolate - quilter's vitamins, right?), and it's still a tough challenge to keep the weight off. You just have to start each day deciding what you're going to do for that day...learn from looking back, live looking forward, and love yourself however you are in this moment. The "package" doesn't define the "contents"!!
Post a Comment