When asked by my mother what I wanted for my birthday this year, my response was "a long weekend of peace and quiet to quilt at the lake". Well, I got the long weekend at the lake but the peace and quiet was a bit too much to ask. What I got was a long weekend at the lake with my husband, my dog, my parents and my two nephews (there lies the loss of peace and quiet, by the way).
Though not exactly what I was looking for, it was still a productive weekend for me. I got caught up on all my blocks of the month and pieced seven quilt tops. Here are a few.



Now, before you start yelling at me, with the exception of the last one, I had all the blocks pieced. I just had to set them in rows and put the top together. Three of the other tops not pictured are 9 patches (already pieced) and a square single patch set on point. I'll try to get pictures of them up tomorrow.
I am lucky to have a room to myself to quilt in upstairs in this house (I share it with my DH when he's not playing golf or watching TV). I come downstairs for meals and occasional conversation but mostly I am the "crazy aunt upstairs" which I like very much. Occassionally my nephews would come visit, mostly to chase Shelby and jump on the bed. They did take an interest in what I was doing though. The 8-year-old took a few scraps and arranged them in a little square and I sewed them together for him. If it were just him, I may have let him use the machine but with little brother there, I didn't want to risk it. The 4-year-old sat on my lap and wanted me to make the sewing maching go fast, which sent him in to howling laughter fits. (Sometime it just doesn't take much, you know.)
The highlight of my birthday weekend had to be the cake though. Grandmother and the boys made my cake and presented it to me at lunch. The boys decorated it themselves and then after lunch, the eldest got to cut the cake and serve it to everyone. Dessert and entertainment in one sweet package.

All I wanted was a long weekend of peace and quiet to quilt at the lake.
I got the long weekend.
I got the lake.
I got to quilt.
I traded peace and quiet for two wild little boys that made a big mess, made my dog exhausted, made me a cake, made me laugh and made a memorable birthday.
If I really wanted peace and quiet...I would have stayed home. This was much better.

3 comments:
The boys had a ball I bet decorating the cake...and its good for Shelby to get chased every once in a while. Like you she can appreciate home even more when she returns. The quilts are great, I don't care if you did already have the blocks done...I would have needed all weekend to get one set.
Happy Birthday!! Glad it was a good one! Sounds like fun. You can always have peace and quiet later, enjoy them when you can! Glad it turned out good. The quilts look wonderful but only 7????? Just teasing!
SEVEN? Did you say SEVEN??? You are the crazy aunt!! You are blessed with a loving family and a deep sense of profound appreciation for what's important. Lucky You. Happy, happy birthday!
Post a Comment