Sunday, January 13, 2008

UFO's

Most quilters have UFOs or Unfinished Objects. There is always a great debate on what is really considered an UFO. Some say it's not an UFO until the fabric is cut for the blocks. Some don't consider kits as UFOs. Some say if you have the fabric set aside for a specific project, it's an UFO, regardless of whether you have started the project or not.

I am of that last mindset. Kits I've bought are UFOs. If I have the fabric separated out from the herd and assigned to a pattern, it's an UFO. Needless to say, I have a lot of UFO's. Last spring I decided to start a list. I had to get my UFO's under control. I've been updating that list every month to check my progress. (And yes, I'm trying really hard to not add to the list.) So, on May 26, 2007 I counted 209 UFOs.

Yes, you heard me. 209 quilts in progress or in waiting. Now, keep in mind that 54 of them are preemie quilts for the local hospital so they are small. (I know, it's still 209 quilts.)

I have my list broken down by what stage each project is in so that I can track my progress every month.

Here's the breakdown from May of how many quilts were at which stage of production:

Unstarted quilts - 108
Quilt cut out - 8
Blocks pieced - 3
Blocks appliqued - 2
Quilt top pieced - 4
Borders on - 32
Quilt basted - 41
Quilted - 5
Binding on (but not whipped down) - 6
Quilts complete - 0

As of today, here's how it breaks down:

Unstarted quilts - 92
Quilt cut out - 12
Blocks pieced - 5
Blocks appliqued - 2
Quilt top pieced - 4
Borders on - 13
Quilt basted - 5
Quilted - 19
Binding on (but not whipped down) - 15
Quilts complete - 42

So, in about 8 months, I've reduced my UFO's from 209 to 167. Not bad but still a little overwhelming. My goal is to be under 100 by January 1, 2009.

The trick is going to be in not adding to the pile which will be difficult. We have Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival coming up...and that's usually good for adding 5 or 10 to the list.

Guess I better get in there and start binding some quilts...


P.S. This quilt was a UFO for about 5 years so there's always hope!

3 comments:

Nane said...

You can do it! You have 34 that only need binding. I am bad about going for the low hanging fruit and finishing the easiest first. Maybe you set a reward..start a new one for every 5 completed!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're doing great! I love the quilt pictured... all good tops become quilts in their own time. It's time!

Rhondi said...

Hi Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's always fun to meet a fellow quilter. I took an applique class from Kristi. Have you ever taken a class from her? She's a doll! She and Susan Edmundsun do a great weekend retreat in Blowing Rock every Sept. I haven't been yet but plan to go one of these years. You can find info on Kristin's website. About all the UFO's... Don't be so hard on yourself girlfriend! Projects purchased but not yet started aren't considered UFO's because something can't be unfinished if it's not started! Enjoy your quilting and come visit me again. Rhondi