Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mid-Atlantic

I've been going to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival for almost 20 years and have only missed maybe a couple years out of that time.  This first time was overwhelming.  I was still hand piecing and hand quilting everything.  I knew next to nothing.  I'm sure I walked around with my mouth hanging wide open, ogling the incredible quilts and all the stuff in the vendor booths.

Every now and then, one of the Raleigh Bee girls would walk by me and tuck me under the chin to keep me from drooling.

For many years, it became like going to Disney World and seeing how much money I could spend in a weekend.  I know there are still kits in the closet from those trips.

Then, after I "matured" (and I use that word very loosely), it became less about the buying of stuff and more about seeing the sights and catching up with friends, both far-flung and neighbors.  The joke of the weekend was "we just drove 5 hours to see everyone we know from home".  Instead of running into the vendor mall, we stopped, sat down with friends and caught up. 

The Raleigh Bee got together for lunch on Saturday and did our Christmas exchange (which has, in the past, occurred as late as May so we were doing pretty good).

It's funny how we end up with the gifts that fit us....like Dr. Anne, the vet, ending up with Missy's sock hamster...and more socks and the "Socks Appeal" book.

Cyndi ended up with my wool penny rug, which pretty much fits her too.



We all get together for happy hour and show and tell, mostly tell.  There are always hysterical stories that go along with the trip.  There's the trip to Surf Rider for crab cakes.  Our group gets bigger every year which just makes it more fun.


I did buy a few things - some thread, a little fabric and a Deb Tucker ruler but instead of needing to rent a u-haul to get home, it all fit in one little bag.

The memories are much bigger.

Oh...yeah...there were some quilts there too.






You need to see that last one up close...


4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

"A good time was had by all!"

Janet O. said...

Oh, yeah, quilts.
When it comes right down to it, it is all about the friends and the memories we make.
Looks like great fun!

Impera Magna said...

Friends and quilts and good times... what could be better?

Becky G said...

This post makes me very happy! Love the photos and as always your words are a delight to read. Thanks much.