Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Windy City



Emily (owner of the soon-to-open-in-Greensboro Studio Stitch) and I left really early last Monday for more training at Bernina near Chicago. We decided to leave REALLY early so we could go into the city and be tourists for the day.

Boy, did we make the most of it.


We landed about 8:00 or so, hopped a cab to Lisle, checked into the hotel, hopped a shuttle to the rail station and were at Union Station in downtown Chicago by 11:00.

We hopped a bus to the Navy Pier and took the architectural tour by boat on the Chicago River.



Very cool.

Then we walked the Navy Pier and had lunch at the Okoberfest. (yum)


Then we walked to the Magnificent Mile, bought some Legos at the Lego Store and headed to the John Hancock Building. The tour guide said the best view of the city was from the women's bathroom at the Signature Room at the top of the John Hancock building.

He was right. It was awesome. (And no, he had not actually seen it himself.)


We walked the Mile a bit more, checking out a few shops along the way including this one with and enormous collection of old sewing machines. Cool, huh?



We found a restaurant called Rockit that my friend, Robbie, told me about and we had the most incredible meal. (There was brie....melted...on fries...and on a burger...brie...)



After that, we caught a water taxi back to Union Station, caught the train and a shuttle and were back to our room to nurse our sore feet.

We had plenty of time to let our feet recover with 5 days of class in front of us.

The next night we went into Naperville which is a wonderful little town with a river walk, great shops and restaurants. I had my first ever Chicago-style pizza.


I'm just glad we don't have that down here. I'd be in trouble. Yum.

The class was good - another few days taking an 830 apart and putting it back together is good practice and learning from these guys is an incredible opportunity.




I have to tell you though it takes me about a week before I stop thinking in a Swiss German accent.


7 comments:

Janet O. said...

Love this post! My son is currently in Chicago for his work and we did face-time with him tonight. He was showing us the city skyline from his room high up in the hotel. I don't think he will have as much fun as you, though.
LOL about taking a week to stop thinking in a Swiss German accent.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've only been to Chicago once but I loved it! Have a wonderful time. blessings, marlene

Impera Magna said...

What fun you had... and I'm glad you got downtown to see that. I've been to Chicago several times but never managed to have Chicago-style pizza... was having too much fun in ethnic restaurants!

But... brie? Melted on a burger? And melted on fries? Oh. My. Goodness.....

Nane said...

Love that machine wall....and glad you got some pizza, I agree with you if they made it that way around here I would be in trouble. I know Shelby (and probably DH) are glad to have you back home.

Lynn Dykstra said...

We Chicagoans do this all the time.

You can pay big bucks to go to the observatory OR ride up to the Signature Lounge for free, buy a $3 coke, and use the womens room. That is what I do with guests! (And the guys can see just as great a view from the lounge.) My kids always try to find our house.
There is a dress code.

On Sundays, if you worship at Fourth Presbyterian across the street you get reduced parking at the Hancock!

Carrie P. said...

Wow, you are just traveling all over the country.
I would love visit Chicago. Looks like a neat place.
That wall of sewing machines is so cool.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

By any chance was your pizza from Giordano's? Thanks for taking us along on your trip, what a fun location!