
(Not Shelby but illustrates my snit fairly well)
Woman: "I just looove the quilt hanging behind you."
Me: "Thank you."
Me in my head: "Buyitbuyitbuyitbuyitbuyit."
Woman: "Is that a pattern or in a book?"
Me: "Yes. It's a Blooming Nine Patch from the book Traditions With a Twist"
Woman: "I just looove that pattern."
Me: "I'm sure we still have a copy or two of the book at the shop if you want to make it yourself."
Woman: "Would you make a copy of the pattern and give it to me?"
Me: blank stare
Me in my head: "She DID NOT just say that. Really? She did?"
Me: "Uh no. I can't make a copy of the patter for you. That's against the law. It's stealing."
Woman: "Is it? I thought since you had already bought the book, you could copy what you want."
Me: "No ma'am. It's illegal to copy a pattern from a book and give it to someone else so they don't have to buy the book. That's stealing from the author."
Woman: "Well, I copy things all the time so I can make notes on them and I don't mess up my book."
Me: "That's perfectly fine. You can do that but you can, say, give me a copy of the pattern from your book. It's wrong."
Woman: "Hmm. I didn't know that." annndd...she walks off.
Me in my head: "How the heck to you live in this world of intellectual property and NOT know that copying a pattern and doling it out like Pez is illegal and wrong?" Come on!! REALLY?!?
And while I'm on my soap box...
We had a "customer" come in the shop not too long ago and she looked and looked. Then she took a photo of one of our samples. When one of the kind ladies that works in the shop showed her the pattern for the sample, the "customer" said, I've got a photo now so I don't need to buy the pattern.
REALLY?
uhh...that would be stealing too. It hurts the local shop because instead of supporting us by doling out the $9 for the pattern and helping us keep the doors open, she's using us for inspiration...which is all fine and good...until we have to close the doors because people stop buying patterns and only come in to take photos. It's also stealing the intellectual property of the person that developed the pattern.
And while I'm talking about supporting your local quilt shop, here's another example...
During the shop hop a month or so ago, we were demoing a certain item and taking orders. A "customer" decided she wanted what we were selling...but when told we would order one for her she said "well, I'll just order it online somewhere."
uh...REALLY?
Instead of supporting her local quilt shop, she's going to order the same thing online and PAY for shipping?
To me, that makes no sense at all.
1. IF you would find it online for a better price, you'd more than make up the difference in shipping cost.
2. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL QUILT SHOP!
before there are no local quilt shops to support.
(and she quietly steps off her soapbox and goes to bed.)

10 comments:
Been there! Hate that you had it happen. I had a friend ask to use one of my origanal patterns for a church raffle quilt, that I said ok. "Then" she went annd taught it at Appalachain Quilting Party. That one she didn't ask to do. She is a Doctor's wife, who also has several rental propertys. My husband and I both worked full time, to make ends meet, and I had just lost my job. People are so clueless!
Love the picture of the peke! Would like to bring him home.
I quite agree with all your comments. I don't understand people who do not know that copying, whether it's quilt patterns, digitized embroidery designs, or printed word, is stealing. I thought most of us learned that in high school when the teachers made us write reports rather than copying printed text.
On a funny note, I posted on a Yahoo group last week about supporting the LQS and was called a snob. So be it!
Go Pack!
Love the puppy photo.
What are people thinking? I am a stickler for copyright observance whether it is music downloads, photocopied music, or copying patterns. Even if I am pretty sure I could figure out the pattern myself, I try to buy the pattern that inspired me.
I did recently get discouraged with my LQS, though. They had a sample on display, but no pattern available. They said they would order more right away. I am not in the shop frequently, and over the next few weeks I dropped in twice, but still no pattern. I had a reason for wanting the item made soon and time was getting short. Finally I went online and found I could order it from the designer with no shipping charge. I had it in less than a week. You do what you have to do.
Love the fierce puppy scowl! For me, honoring those who create by purchasing their designs and by shopping local are matters of community. Even if the law allowed such copying, I would not participate... It seems to diminish us all.
Lately, I have even been wondering @ using quotes on line & sharing excerpts from books. I talked this past week-end about this very topic with Cynthia Bourgeault, an international speaker and author of books on the contemplative life.
I am glad you are discussing this topic and giving us an opportunity to be more mindful. Peace, b
Been preaching the same thing about ski and bike shops to club members for years.....
I know Shelby has that expression in her, we could probably see it if she still had her puppy fur!
Ain't it the truth! Fabrics On The Hill, not far from Near Philadelphia, is closing its doors, just a few years after Country Quiltworks, leaving only Granny's nearby. I went to the going out of business sale at FOTH and got some very good buys, but felt a lot like a vulture.
I've had people ask me to copy a pattern for them from one of my quilt books or magazines... and these are people who should know better. *shaking head*
Thanks for sharing the make of the book with the Blooming Nine Patch pattern in it... I would like to make one someday. I promise to check out both my LQSs before looking for it elsewhere!
Love the little pooch. We've lost several quilt shops in the last 3 years in the Houston area and have had 2 open.
I can't believe a person would have the nerve to ask you to make a copy of the pattern for free. Hello "You" are in the business to make a living. What friends share is one thing but to ask a shop to make a copy. It takes all kinds.
Preach, girl! Tru dat!
AMEN!!!!
Post a Comment