Monday, April 25, 2011

Participating

For about 30 years, my family has spent Easter weekend at Holden Beach. It's a nice quiet family beach in southern NC and is one of my favorite places on earth. In years past, I would spend the weekend in the house for the most part, quilting at the kitchen table mostly because it was a struggle to do much else. Things are different now. One, I can't get to the kitchen table for all the computers - one dad and three nephews playing on their computers takes up too much space and two, I want to be outside because I can.


Participating in the traditional family Easter weekend this year included:


A long walk on the beach with my mother and sister-in-law catching up and telling on each other


Crabbing with the nephews, my mother and my "adopted" brother, Larry. (He's really adopted my parents and I love him for that.)



The first unfortunate crab

(note - this was a catch and release program. no crabs or little boys were injured in this activity.)






Ashman the Bucket Boy





The Crab Catchers (and Bucket Boy)





Larry and Mom

(yes, she put on lipstick to go out on the beach to catch crabs in the dark.

It's a rule - never leave the house without lipstick on.)





Friday night after crabbing, Larry wanted to go to Paradise Cafe down the street where they were having karaoke. I was game. No one else would get off the couch so I participated in my first ever karaoke night. (When I say participate, I mean watch everyone else get up and sing like fools while I laugh until my sides hurt. I can't carry a tune in a bucket.) About midnight my bio-brother showed up. He walked up to me and says "mama sent me down here to bring you home".


I laughed.


He wasn't kidding.


Yes, I'm 46, not 16.


He then promptly went to join Larry and the rest of the singers in a round of Jimmy Buffet favorites.


We all three left about an hour & a half later.


It was the most fun I've had with my brother ever.


The next day Larry geared the nephews up for a sand sculpture. I suggested a snake and they though that was a great idea. (I love being the cool aunt.)





Then time sitting on the beach with my dad and husband watching Uncle Larry wear out the nephews (or vice sersa).




Saturday night was much more subdued. Mom, Dad, Larry, Dave and I went to the Sugar Shack for dinner...which pretty much did us in for the rest of the night.


Sunday morning, Mom, Larry and I went to the sunrise service on the beach...something we've done most of my life. It's always wonderful and feels like coming home.


When we got back to the house, there was the usual breakfast rush and Easter Egg Hunt.








Then everyone packed it up and headed home. Dave, Shelby and I were last to leave. It's surprising how quiet and big that house gets once that last truck pulls out of the driveway. I used to only enjoy the quiet but now that I can participate I've grown to like the chaos.


Mama was right - it is what you make it.

7 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a perfect way to spend Easter weekend.... and I love catching (and releasing) crabs! Did you all stand in a circle and release them... standing still while the crabs crawl over your feet?

Never had an egg hunt on the beach... might need to change that next year!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love family traditions like this - such wonderful memories for everyone. And just for the record, doesn't everyone put lipstick on every hour or so? Or at least check to see that it's still on? Maybe that's a generational thing! :) blessings, marlene

Nane said...

So glad you had a good weekend with your family, sounds like a no drama all fun kind of Easter! My friend texted me a picture of their sunrise service from Topsail...I agree its about the perfect place to celebrate the ressurection.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

An excellent report. Sounds just wonderful.

MJMR said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Glad you had a good time. I do miss my Easter sunrise services at the beach.

Carrie P. said...

What a great family time. Hunting eggs at the beach. Too fun.

Teresa said...

Oh, I love Holden Beach and Oak Island. So relaxing to go there.