Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Oldest UFO

I started quilting in 1991. Before that, I was a cross-stitching fool. My mother taught me how to cross-stitch in middle school and for a while, that's all I wanted to do...much to the detriment of my studies for a time.


When I became obsessed with quilting (about 5 minutes after I took my first stitch), I put away the cross-stitch for good...except for one project...a Lavender & Lace pattern called The Quilter. If I remember right, I actually did start it after I took up quilting but not long after.


Every now and then, I'll pick it up and take a few stitches...then put it back down for, oh, five years or so.


I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and moved it to the table next to where I sit and watch TV and do handwork.


A stitch here...


a stitch there...


and roughly 20 years later...


done.


12 comments:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Oh how cool! It's funny how one thing leads to another and back around again. I hope you will have it framed.

Becky G said...

Wonderful! My Mom woned a cross stitch shop (Needle Arts Etc) here in town. But I heard the back had to look as good as the front, and my threads corssed each other on the front.. the long & short of it was I didn't ahve the patience to practice... and now, THIS past week, I ordered a pattern commemorating the decorah eagles...I may have to get some how to's from you!

Impera Magna said...

Oh, how beautiful that is... no wonder you wanted to complete it! Congratulations on the finish... however delayed!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have a French sampler (also cross stitch)that I began in 1996... it's nearly done; but I, like you, only stitch on it a teeny tiny bit every four years or so! I need to borrow a page from your book and FINISH it! Well done, it's BEAUTIFUL! You will enjoy looking at it for the rest of your life, knowing and understanding and all that it represents. Pat yourself on the back~ :)

black bear cabin said...

i had to laugh when i read this post, as i have one that i started almost 20 years ago, and every winter i drag it out thinking this will be the year...alas, its still not finished, but perhaps this post will inspire me to get it out :) its a nice holiday piece, i just dont like to concentrate enough for counting...thats why i like embroidery...free hand :) Your piece is wonderful though and im glad you finished it! congrats on removing a long time ufo from the list!

Mama said...

Beautiful! I so admire your work and find your blog refreshing and wonderful. You are an inspiration to me!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my goodness - stunning. Really. I love counted cross stitch but like you I quit when I started quilting. That piece makes me want to return to it! blessings, marlene

beth said...

See? UFO's do get finished....eventually!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

It's beautiful!! I also loved cross stitch......but loved quilting better ;c)

Bonnie

Quilter Kathy said...

This is gorgeous! So glad you finished it! Congratulations on hanging in there all these years!

altar ego said...

I have rediscovered cross stitch oh, so many years after beginning it, and am grateful for the peace and patience it imposes on me (the perfect activity while watching TV with hubby in the evenings). Love this one. Yay for you for finishing it!

Carrie P. said...

Congratulations! It is so pretty and I remember that pattern. I used to be a cross stitching fool too.