We took off up the road last Saturday, stopping at The Woolen Willow in Williamston, West Virginia on the way. Sunday morning we were in the judging room at 7:30 a.m. and helped out by doing such wonderful jobs as scribe's aide, fanner, reader, runner, and holding room aide. Here's what the holding room looks like...kind of like a morgue actually.

It's amazing how they get through 400 quilts in two and a half days. Judging finished up Tuesday afternoon and then we helped with photography. This part is brutal work but we have a blast. Every one's more relaxed because the judging is over and the show is about to begin.
After the photography was done, a group of us treated ourselves to dinner and a beer together at Barley's Pub. My sides hurt from laughing by the time we heading back our hotels.
Wednesday morning, we helped hang ribbons and then Laura and Rosemary, a CJ Candidate from Maryland, and I went on a road trip to Marion, Ohio to visit Good Wives Company. Afterwards, we had lunch at The Warehouse in Marion. Yummy.
Rosemary knew of another little quilt shop along the way back called Serindipity. It was very sweet and I found some cool novelty prints there.

THEN, heading back into Columbus, I saw a sign from Graeter's Ice Cream and the car just served right off the highway and into the parking lot. (Our long distance bee member, OhQuilter, introduced us to Graeter's a couple of weeks ago and we just couldn't pass up the opportunity to corrupt Rosemary.)

Wednesday evening was the Preview Party, which starts out with a banquet then they open the doors to the show so we can see the quilts and shop. Here's me and Scott Murkin actually behaving ourselves at the banquet.

Here is one of the Best of Show quilts. They were all incredible.

Here's the highlight of the week though. I entered a quilt in the show...the first really national show I've entered. There were 40 quilts in the Duets category (Theresa DeWalt, the quilting goddess quilted this quilt for me). My quilt won an Honorable Mention.

No, I have not stopped grinning yet.
12 comments:
Congratulations on your HM!!!!!!! (and at a truly national show, too!) You go girl!! I'm sure you and your sidekick had a great time. Can't wait to hear about it!
Grinning right backatcha! Way to go! (The trip, however, kinda puts me in mind of Thelma and Louise!)
At a NATIONAL, NQA, show no less! Huge hugs of shared joy!
I was so excited I forgot to comment about stopping at Graeter's... next time I'm riding along with you two.
I saw a ribbon on your quilt on your Facebook page this morning in bed ... on my blackbery and was trying to blow it up to see!! That is so awesome!
SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Awesomeness girl!
(and Graters to boot...dang! Wish I had gone along for the ride!)
Pat yourself on the back. You deserved 1st. (But I might be a little bias)
You are looking beautiful........and so was your quilt. the whole event sounded like a really fun time. Congrats!!
Wow, congratulations! It is GORGEOUS!!
That is a VERY BIG DEAL. (I was going to quote VP Biden but thought better of it.) I am very proud of you.
Congrats on your honorable mention. I love your quilt. Wow, a national quilt show and you won a ribbon. Much hugs and best wishes.
Hey Congratulations!!! that is so awesome. Wow, the flower quilt is so pretty too.
Post a Comment