
The Tour de Mayberry is a fundraiser for Mountain Valley Hospice and riders have three options: a 19 mile ride through town, a 44 mile ride through the countryside or a 100 mile ride which includes riding up Pilot Mountain and back (yeah, insane is what I thought too). Go Postal went for the 44 mile ride and Nane and I went for the 19...only she finished it. I didn't. Here's what I learned:
1. Venues with "Mt." in the name are to be avoided. "Mt." means hills...lots of hills.
2. Road bikes are faster than hybrid bikes.
3. I do NOT like riding on roads with cars. I like trails, preferably level trails...better yet downhill trails.
4. Riding in the rain isn't as fun as it was when I was a kid.
5. Nane is a good friend for not making fun of me for bailing when we passed the Hospice office where the trucks were parked.
Tail tucked between my legs, I loaded my bike on the rack, called my husband to tell him I'm a big baby and got in the car. That's when the bottom fell out.
I took this as a sign from God telling me I made the right decision to stop.
Then I felt guilty about Nane and Go Postal out there in the puring down rain.
Then I remembered the nice SAG Support Vehicle following us around ready to pick us up when we'd had enough.
Then I was okay again.
On the way home I decided to stop at Pilot Mountain State Park and walk around the Knob. Yes, it was still raining...but I can handle walking in the rain better than riding a bike on a hilly road with cars trying not to hit me. (I actually passed some of the wackadoos on the 100-mile bike ride going up and coming down the mountain road. I can barely DRIVE up and down that road. I can't imagine doing it on a bike.)
The rain let up slightly and it was actually very wonderful to walk the trail alone in the rain.

Plus the mountain laurel was blooming.

The walk around the knob ended up being that plus another more difficult trail, one my husband and his crew blazed several years ago. See~

There were more folks out there than I thought there would be considering the weather including a group of boy scouts rock climbing which was highly entertaining.

There were also many times when there was no sound but me and the rain.

In spite of my wimpy Tour de Mayberry appearance, the day turned out to be a great one.
9 comments:
Nothing to feel bad about, you showed up; that counts for a lot! Good for you. (And, for the record, I agree with you about the wackadoos!!)
Believe me, if the SAG had come by when it was raining I would have jumped in. The bad thing about being on my Mt Bike, is I actually had to break on the downhills due to all the grime and spray my tires were flinging back on me. Lesson Learned, I don't like riding in Mt Airy too much either. Even Go Postal was dragging his tail a little.
And I wouldn't make fun of you for sure now...don't know many that would decide to hike after getting so spent on the bike. This is the type of attitude change that is proof positive that your changes in lifestyle are sticking!!!
I think you are doing great! Now me, if I had been riding a bike in the rain fighting traffic, I would have gone home, fixed a cup of tea and grabbed the nearest quilt mag. You did great to go on the hike - I am impressed.
Nothing to hang your head about there! The hike looks wonderful...love your photography!
Think, if you had not stopped riding there would not have been time for the hike at Pilot and we would not have gotten to see those gorgeous pictures on the trail. You just traded a ride for a hike.
Your doing great.
Sounds like fun nonetheless! And congratulations! I got up from the couch to read your blog!
I think you are doing great!
free classified india
I am so proud of you. You stopped before the 19 miles were up but you did your share and that is what matters. Me, I wouldn't do 19 feet.... Mercy me.
Post a Comment