
Continuing a new trend to enjoy the holidays to the fullest, I met my mom at the Carolina Theater for a showing of "It's a Wonderful Life". The movie was, of course, wonderful as was having a girl's night with my mom. But that theater...it is a magical place full of old memories.
It was an abandoned ruin when I was taking ballet classes up the street in the 70's. There was an old filling station next door where we always stopped for gas and to visit with the old guy that ran the station. I remember looking at the old broken down marque and hearing my mom tell me about when she used to come to the Carolina as a child to see the movies.
After the big fire in 1981, I remember anxiously waiting to see if it would reopen in time for the one and only beauty pageant I was ever in. It did and I got the privilege of wandering around the old backstage and dressing rooms.
Later in the 80's, I volunteered there as an usher and popcorn maker during fundraising events...which is why I know movie popcorn is probably the most decadent thing you can ever have (and I enjoy every kernel).
It's been a good 25 years since I've walked through those doors before tonight. It hasn't changed a bit. Same old rocking seats that will dump you into the row behind you if you sit back too fast...same red velvet curtains on the stage and gold gilt angels on the walls...same organ playing being played by someone as everyone finds a seat...and Mom waiting in the lobby for me to walk in the door.
It truly is a wonderful life.
5 comments:
What a wonderful memory...thank you for sharing! That is one of my all-time favorite movies, and my sisters and i can pretty much do it line for line :)
I really enjoyed your trip down memory lane!
Such a lovely post!
What a great place to go see that movie! And what great memories you've shared to go along with it.
Watching that one is a tradition here with Jim and I on Christmas Eve.
Wonderful trip down memory lane. Yes, It is a Wonderful Life. :-)
There were a couple of theaters in the town where I grew up and both have been torn down now - I hate that! blessings, marlene
Post a Comment