Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Who Are You?


Mrs. Goodneedle's post today tickled me. I started to think about how her dream picked on her perfectionism and how each of us approach our quilting lives and how those approaches define us. It made me remember some silliness from a few years back. I think it was on a road trip that we started giving ourselves quilting names. The name I was given was Quilt Whisperer because I seemed to conjure quilts out of nowhere. I don't think it really applies anymore because I'm not as prolific as I was then. I think I need a new name.


Others were better suited. One friend, who can't pass by a spool of thread without buying became Threadzilla. Another who loves to bind quilts and does this thing with her hands when she gets excited about something (she kind of stands up real straight and leans a little forward on her tip toes and pins her arms straight to her sides with her hands flapped out like little bird wings...her kids call it the butt wing)...well, she became The Butt Wing Binder.


We are all attracted to different aspects of quilting. We become known to our friends for certain things like our love for applique, primitives, perfect piecing, art quilts, machine quilting, binding. We love certain blocks like Bear Paws, Mariner's Compass, Nine Patches. We collect things like needles, pin cushions, sewing machines, thread.


So, for what are you known?


Do you have a silly quilt superhero (or villian) name?


If you do, share it.


If you don't, then who should you be?

7 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Now this is just plain scary... I'm having enough angst already today because of my nightmare. Well, who shall I be? I am already Mrs. Goodneedle and I like the connotation of "good" as in "Life Is.." and all that... but is there more, something that I'm not getting all of a sudden? I don't know that I want to delve deeper ;) It's not easy being a firstborn.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Not prolific?!? She who whips SEVEN was it? quilts out in a month?!?! I'd say you are still the Quilt Whisperer!

As for me, maybe Queen Techniqua, dabbler in all things art??

(I'm open to ideas here...)

quiltkeemosabe said...

Do I want to know my name???? Do I want to know what I'm known for??? I'm not sure I do..........(somebody whisper it to me)

Nane said...

Hmmm the first thing that popped into my head would be Get Er Done...because as Mrs Goodneedle witnessed...once I get close I don't want to back up and fix any errors...I just want them done. But I don't really like that comedian too much (only as Tow Mater) Fun!

Tipper said...

I love the nicknames! You know mine-Tipper. Pap has always been known for giving others nicknames-and they usually stuck. On my older brother's baseball team there was Rooster, Pickle, Cutiepie, Mud Turtle, Peewee-all these men are in their 40s now-and they each are still known by their nicknames. Neat post!

Heritage Quilter said...

This post really makes me have to think. I've named myself Heritage Quilter for two reasons. The first is way to obvious, I live on Heritage Drive. The second, both of my grandmothers made quilts, my mom taught me to quilt and I'm teaching my daughter to quilt. I guess it is part of my genetic makeup.

Teresa said...

I don't know what I am known for...that's sad. The names you all came up for each other are cute and sounds like you had fun picking them.