
The Quilters of Gee's Bend appeared tonight at one of our local universities. I sent out a note to my quilting bee to see who could go. We're all a very busy group so only a couple of us were able to attend. I am so glad I had the opportunity to see these women and to hear their voices. The quilts themselves are utilitarian and in many eyes not beautiful. However, they are striking.
I went to see the quilts and to hear about these women. There were two quilts draped across a table on the stage. There were five women on the stage. Each told their story in these voices that were so rich with that "deep south" African American tone that makes you wish they would never stop the story.
Then they sang...
Each took a turn leading the group in a old time gospel song. Hearing their voices, watching their faces, finding myself on my feet swaying and clapping with them - there was more Truth there than I have found in a Sunday morning workship service in many years.
I went to see the quilts. What I left with was so much more than fabric can hold.
Learn more about the Gee's Bend Quilts at http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/
I went to see the quilts and to hear about these women. There were two quilts draped across a table on the stage. There were five women on the stage. Each told their story in these voices that were so rich with that "deep south" African American tone that makes you wish they would never stop the story.
Then they sang...
Each took a turn leading the group in a old time gospel song. Hearing their voices, watching their faces, finding myself on my feet swaying and clapping with them - there was more Truth there than I have found in a Sunday morning workship service in many years.
I went to see the quilts. What I left with was so much more than fabric can hold.
Learn more about the Gee's Bend Quilts at http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/
1 comment:
Amen. Faith through fabric... there's nothing more truthful than that!
Post a Comment