Oohh...things have been busy...but let's talk about the really important things first.
Yesterday my brothers (i.e. my brother, Jim and my pseudo-brother, Larry) took Dad to the neurologist for his first check-up since Halloween. All is healing up nicely and they changed him over to a soft collar...which he wears for two more months then we see what happens next. The best news according to my dad is he gets to drive again. (This serves as a warning to the Greater Greensboro/Guilford County area...)
For the past couple of weeks, he has been venturing out to job sites with the guys driving him around. He gets around pretty well but gets tired...so, they loaded a recliner on the back of the truck and when they get to a job site, the guys put the recliner in the front yard and he sits...directly the construction...from a recliner...in the front yard...
If those guys from Duck Dynasty can have their own show...surely we can too.
No...I don't have a photo. Had I been there, you'd have a visual...but the guys can't stop laughing long enough to get a clear photo so we're out of luck.
So, we're thankful Dad is mending and getting back to his old tricks again.
The next important thing...Thanksgiving...was insane in the very best way. We were back at my aunt's house with most of the clan in tow. Here just a handful of things for which I give thanks...
My sister-in-law who gets a little giggly after a couple glasses of wine and no food and will get her pirate on...
My Aunt Dianne and Uncle Bob who let us all invade their home and eat their food...
Their kitchen full of cousins laughing and talking and stealing deviled eggs...
Cousin Amy and her husband Doug who graces us with Hebrew prayers before the thundering hoard hits the table (and yes, he's got his hand in the turkey, stealing a few bites but at least he shares...)
Nephew JD who was very happy with the dessert plate I fixed for him (though my brother was not as happy with my dessert tower...but that's what aunts do...load them up with sugar and send them home with the parents. Really...he should know this about me already...)
Nephew Hampton, the turkey killer, who is so grown up now...and did all the dishes...without prompting...I'm not really sure who's kid he is now...neither of his parent's have that quality...must be something he got from his stepmother, the giggly pirate)
Cousin Jess and her sweet boys all who made the trek from San Diego...(I'm not sure if Jess and her husband Tom are crazy or brave to travel so far with two little boys in tow but since they will be heading to New Zealand to see the other grandparent's I'm betting on crazy...)
Nephew Asher...who was illusive and wasn't still enough for a photo...
Cousin Max, the other turkey killer, who is kicking leukemia's butt...
As I sat on the front porch of my Aunt Dianne's house, rocking in a rocking chair, talking to my cousins, I couldn't help but waller (yeah...a Southern word for revel) in the gifts of family...I have lots...right here and far flung and no matter what, we always come back to each other...usually rocking in a rocking chair on some one's porch.
23 minutes ago







2 comments:
This sounds great! Sometimes, when my large & raucus family gathers, i'll just stop... and pan the crowd, taking it all in, like a memory/emotional snap shot of everyone together, the faces, the laughter, the voices... A family cameo event. Precious, restorative and renewing. And yes, my involuntary response is to be flooded in gratitude and with THANKSgiving. Peace, b
So glad your Dad is on the mend. The Thanksgiving visit recharged my batteries too
Post a Comment