It was rough going in the hospital but Dad got to come home on Friday. I got to drive him home because he can get in and out of the BAL (Big A$$ Lexus) easiest. Mom went to the pharmacy so I was on my own to get him in the house...a little daunting for many reasons.
We made it home with no problems. I asked him to wait in the car while I got the front door open. Next thing I know he's out of the car and decided he's going to take his "walk". (The doc wants him to walk, you know...on flat ground with now obstructions for about 20 feet.) Dad decides he's going to the mail box...about 70 feet away...by himself.
Did I mention he's a little hard-headed?
So I run to get the door open...then I run to catch up with him. He makes it to the mailbox and about 10 feet back towards the house before the power slump happens. If you've ever had surgery, you know that feeling...something that usually takes no effort at all suddenly becomes impossible. It took a while to make it back to the house but we did.
We're figuring out our new routine, our new ways of doing everyday things...like taking a shower, getting in the bed, eating. Mostly, I'm sitting at the kitchen table working on the computer and being quiet while he catches cat naps in the recliner five feet away from me and doing whatever he wants when he's awake - feeding him pureed soups, checking his blood sugar, feeding him drugs, putting a new movie in the DVD. The only one keeping a closer eye one him right now is Shelby...she's a great little nurse's aide.
12 hours ago

.jpg)
6 comments:
That Shelby should be a good companion. Hope he is continuing to improve.
Praying for speedy healing for your Dad; Shelby is an excellent caregiver!
My husband had surgery for this in June. Liquid Benadry will help reduce the swelling in his neck and will also aid in resting! Good luck and God bless!
My husband had surgery for this in June. Liquid Benadry will help reduce the swelling in his neck and will also aid in resting! Good luck and God bless!
Thinking of you and your Dad. God Bless.
Post a Comment