I don't typically voice my political, social or religious beliefs very much...mainly because 1. it's a personal thing; 2. likely nothing I say will sway someone who's on the opposite of an issue; 3. most likely if you know me, you already know where I stand on most things; and 4. if you don't know me, why would you care how I feel about ...fill in the blank here.
I can boil my philosophy down to "people do what they do and are who they are and as long as no one gets hurt, let it be".
When North Carolinians voted for Amendment One, I wasn't happy because it infringes on civil rights of others. I have friends and family who are strongly rooted on on the opposite side of that fence but...I didn't disown or unfriend anyone who voted for the amendment. That's their choice and their belief. I don't have to agree with it to love them. We just avoid that topic at family reunions.
If you could see my facebook feed from all my "friends" out there, you would see a melting pot from deep burgundy conservative to ultra-violet liberal, from black and white to technicolor rainbow, from sunshine yellow Christians to midnight blue atheists.
What I'm trying to say is, I am blessed with a diverse and fascinating circle.
And here, at last after all those words, is the example...
Friday night I went with my fairly new friend, Hattie and her four friends to Gay Bingo, a fund raiser for Equality Winston-Salem. Here we were, six straight women, stepping out to support our LGBTQ community. By the end of the night, my face hurt from laughing and was highly impressed by the talent in the room. We had the absolute best time playing bingo, watching the acts and getting to know each other.
And yes, it was raining men.
No, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I am glad my mind is open enough to be richer for it.
25 minutes ago


7 comments:
I just knew you were a woman, who like myself, follows her convictions and doesn't become influenced by others. We stand up for our friends and their choices.
I don't know you personally, but one of the reasons I read your blog is because I admire your outlook on life.
Looks like fun!
Looks like you all had a great time... what fun!
*applauding* your philosophy!
That would have been a good warm up for our trip to the Keys : )
i completely agree with your philosophy!!! My friends and family are the same way...a broad spectrum of beliefs and ideas...but i love them all the same. Sadly, some of them get a little nasty about issues i completely disagree with, but like you, we mostly avoid those topics. I respect other folks opinions, but often when its the other way around, i notice my beliefs are not respected, and sometimes in fact attacked with name calling and sarcasm (why is that i wonder). Anyways, its refreshing to know people who are open minded to things...makes me think the human race has a chance :) hugs!
p.s. looks like a blast!
Oh my... Love your post & sounds like you all had a ball! As you know ( sincei always bather on & on to you) my core belief is we are called to community... Most especially with those who are or who believe differently, whichever side of the issues they stand on. Glad to hear a voice of kindness here... As usual. B
Looks like you had a great time. I agree with your take on life too. We are all different and wonderful creatures on this planet.
Post a Comment