
Yesterday afternoon found me waiting at a gate in Logan Airport in Boston. I know for most people this may be a normal, everyday thing and a pain in the hiney to boot. To me, it's still a pleasure. I love to fly...always have. I love to watch people in an airport. I love the community and solitude of waiting.
Yesterday I got to witness something wonderful.
The plane I was about to board sidled up to the exit and the incoming passengers began to disembark. The desk agent announced that a couple of soldiers returning from Iraq were on that plane and would we join their families who were there at the gate in welcoming them home (families being at the gate - a thing of the pre-9/11 days we all miss).
The first soldier comes up the ramp and is greeted by his mom, his young wife and a baby boy barely old enough to walk. The soldier goes from one to another. He's on the ground holding his baby. There are cheers and cries and laughter.
The next soldier comes up the ramp and is greeted by a young woman. He hugs her tight, lifting her off the ground. He puts her down then takes a knee, pulls out a red velvet box and asks her to be his wife. She, of course, says yes and there is more cheering and applause.
We all stood, cheering and clapping as these two young men went home with their families. We all were there, strangers, all going somewhere else, maybe home, maybe to work, maybe to see old friends...but we were all there and able to get on that plane and go about our lives because these two young men and so many like them do what they do.
I am grateful.
15 comments:
What moment of grace... Thanks for this wonderful story.
Love it.
Love you, too.
Thanks for sharing such a touching moment. We are all blessed to have young men who are willing to put their lives on the line for us.
Oh how I wish I could have been there - what a wonderful sight to see! blessings, marlene
Oh how I wish I could have been there - what a wonderful sight to see! blessings, marlene
Wonderful!! I just love this!
Welcome home, can't wait to hear all about your trip!
Bonnie
What a special moment... God bless all our armed forces!
Too cool <3
Cripes! I'm bawling! This was so sweet! Thanks for sharing!
What an emotionally charged experience. Love it--thanks for telling us about it!
I totally miss seeing family at the gate too..it used to be mine when I traveled home from college...and I have seen a proposal too. But servicemen, yep that would be tear jerking for sure in today's world.
That's a incredibly heartwarming story, so glad you were there to witness it and share it with all of us. Thank you!
How fun to be a witness to those home coming and proposal.
I love the quilts!
just reading your post has me all teary eyed, and I can't hardly see what I'm typing. I can't imagine the emotion of being there to see this all take place in person. LUCKY you!! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Love from Indiana! ~bonnie
Post a Comment