Saturday, March 19, 2011

Letting Go


Just over a year ago, I met Aretha. I was familiar with the program she had started because the Women's Fund gave her a grant. My group of women (the Sophias because we are all wise women) was especially taken with Aretha's program, The Djembe Project. Her plan was to get a group of up to 18 at-risk girls together on Saturday mornings and teach them to respect themselves and others, teach them about responsibility and community service, teach them that there is more to the world than what is happening in their neighborhood and that they have options.


So this beautiful woman, who has in her own life faced adversity and risen above it, who has and is making things happen, inspired me to do a crazy thing. When asked what could we do for these girls to commemorate their success in the program - well, we'll make them all quilts. Of course we will. I do it every day.


But 14? In a year? On top of everything else?


Sure.


This is where my friends come in and rescue me from myself.


Mrs. Goodneedle and Quiltkeemosabe helped me cut out all the symbols.
Then a whole slew of quilters helped applique the symbols to the blocks and assemble the tops.
Bonnie quilted them all.
Women at the fall retreat sewed sleeves on the backs.


They've been done since November but between the weather, the holidays, crazy schedules and so forth, we weren't able to get together...until this afternoon.


David and I met Aretha and some of the girls to give them their quilts. Not all the girls were there but I gave all the quilts to Aretha to pass on to them. I have to let it go.


Were the girls appropriately astounded and appreciative?

No. Not really. They are 11 - 14 year old girls. I expected no real appreciation.


I have to let it go.


Am I disappointed?


Absolutely not. One day, one (or maybe more) of those girls will look at that quilt and remember and realize what she was given by strangers.


Absolutely not. I learned that no matter what crazy idea I have, my friends rally around me and will pull me out of the hole I've dug.


Abolutely not. It was a challenge and it was fun and they are beautiful.


But I have to let it go.

Do I have to do it again?


Absolutely not.

12 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, yes... one day they will know. You have a heart of solid gold... don't ever stop following that!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Thanks for sharing this post, the whole thing. The quilts are terrific. But more so I'm dazzled by your understanding that their lack of appreciation is a piece of their AGE and not a piece of their SELVES. I gave a special quilt to a young girl upon her confirmation and it took me a little while to put that idea together afterwards. You done good!

quiltkeemosabe said...

It doesn't matter whether they appreciated the effort or not, or if they ever will. You made the effort and that is what matters. You did a good thing. And yes, you know your friends will always be right behind you, getting you out of whatever you got yourself into. That is also what matters! You done good!

altar ego said...

This is a great post. The quilts are amazing, and you're right, at their young age they have no idea the gift they've been given. One day it will sink in. It IS disappointing when something into which we've poured ourselves isn't received in the manner we might like. It is the risk we take when we embark on such adventures. But like the butterfly that flapped its wings in the forest, your efforts have nudged the universe in a better direction. You have touched more strangers than you know.

Irene Onderweegs said...

The girls DO radiate pride! That's the important thing. Nobody will ever be able to steal these moments from them, they will remember these! And whenever things will grow difficult in their future, there is this memory to hold on. They will remember and cherish, don't you worry. It's the best gift you could ever have given them.
Love from Amsterdam, Irene

Impera Magna said...

What a wonderful and incredible project! The girls will understand and appreciate the love and generosity down the road... I'm sure of it!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Blessings like this one will turn around and bless you three times over. They're hard to do, hard to get through, hard to get past...but give God cause to smile. blessings, marlene

Lana said...

What a sweet post...all the girls look very confident...and good for you - for realizing this isn't about you it is about them...now that takes real courage...your example of giving and attitude will speak louder to the girls than the quilts ever will.
You did an absolutely Wonderful job!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I'd say from the beaming look on those girls' faces that they have been blessed in immesurable ways. And you were obedient to the inner voice that said "make quilts for those girls." Even though you knew it was a huge thing to take on and maybe didn't make sense at the time I'm guessing that more than one life was changed for the better in this. God always has a plan. You had ears to hear.

You just never know how deeply one act can touch another person, even if they don't realize it until somewhere down the road.

I'd say you made a difference. And that's a very good thing to do :)

Teresa said...

The quilts really do look nice and congratulations to you and your friends for getting them done. As far as the appreciation - it will come. I was stopped in the grocery store one day by a young mother with a child that looked to be 5 or 6 - she asked me..Aren't you Teresa? I responded yes, and she said I had made her a quilt when she was pregnant with the child she was holding by the hand. She was an unwed mom, and said that the quilt was so special to her as it reminded her that someone cared. It really touched my heart. Those girls will remember that "someone cared" one day and maybe, just maybe, you will run into one of them at the grocery store!

Nane said...

They will grow to appreciate the gift I am sure...heaven knows what I would have thought at that age. They turned out great and yes don't stop jumping in with both feet....we'll be here to throw you a rope if needed.

Carrie P. said...

What a bunch of happy girls and some really great quilts.