Monday, December 20, 2010

All is Calm...

No. It's not...but that's okay. All is well.


Since the weekend away with Bonnie and Shelby here's what's happened...


1. The heater had to be replaced.

2. We spent Monday and Tuesday nights with my folks because it was 41 degrees in the house.

3. I had my officer's exam to be a deacon, passed and will be ordained in January. (I know some of you are shaking your head at that one.)

4. I spent a wonderful evening with kb, Nane and Laura rug hooking, laughing, eating Nane's cookies and watching Shelby terrorize Roscoe (Shelby - 6 lbs, Roscoe - 60 lbs - it is a sight to see).

5. I went Christmas shopping with my husband...at Walmart on a Friday night. They had two registers open. I think someone should do a psychological study on the impact of the Christmas Spirit regarding people standing in long lines at Walmart. Some people explode. Some people take it in stride. Some people turn it into a party. I'm the middle one but enjoy being near the party people. The exploders should have to go to a separate Walmart.

6. Saturday, kb and I went to Durham for the annual Piedmont Rug Hookers Christmas Party. Now, THIS is a fun time...always! There is Santa Soup (everyone brings something to put in the pot). There is yummy bread and sinful desserts. There is a Dirty Santa gift exchange which always involves hysterical laughter. There are wonderful, wild, lovely women who enjoy each other immensely. And there's the egg nog - naughty and nice. I can handle about 1/2 a cup of the naughty...beyond that, I need a designated driver...or a cot.

7. I wrapped presents and put them under the tree.

8. I got the Christmas cards in the mail...finally.

9. I went to church on Sunday and had to sit in the back because between the college students being home and the Market Street Brass performing, there wasn't an empty seat to be found.

10. I spent time with Jane B. whose daughter is getting married on Thursday and wanted a little quilt for people to sign instead of a guest book. (I whipped that up last Thursday night at the beach. It was a sacrifice - Carolina blue and white...I sang the NC State fight song in my head the whole time I was making it.)

11. I had a bowl of soup by myself at Panera, enjoying the sounds of people around me enjoying each other...and ran into new friends from church who like to hug and are happy to see everyone they meet.

12. I went to a funeral service for a wonderful woman who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly and for the first time thought...this is what I want my "celebration" to be like. We sang and waved colorful scarves (because she used to teach a creative motion class when she lived in Berkley) and cried for her family and because she will be sorely missed.

13. I went to Sharon and Dick's Cookies and Glogg party. I got to visit with quilter friends and eat too many cookies. (The glogg is tasty and I like it better than the nog because it's hot and had no milk in it but it won't knock you on your butt like the nog does...though it comes close!)

14. I wrapped more presents.

15. I sewed silk ties together in string blocks.

16. I worked...you know, work?


All is calm?


I'm still waiting on that part.


But all is good.


Maybe the calm will come this week?
It usually hits about midnight Christmas Eve.
I'm ready.


8 comments:

Irene Onderweegs said...

Hope that you will be around when the Calm comes in! 8^}
Have a very blessed X-mas and a scrappy and piecefull New Year. Don't forget to brush your teeth.
Irene from Amsterdam

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Busy lady! I'd like to know more about the officer's exam and becoming a deacon -- sounds interesting. I don't know which denomination you are; they all have different rules and regs for this kind of thing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I would like to know more about your ordination... is it a public service? I'm not shaking my head at all, but rather, nodding in affirmation.

Nane said...

I pray that it is never too calm at the holidays, that means no family and friends to celebrate with. Love You!

black bear cabin said...

good grief...how did you survive! :) i passed on a few parties this last weekend, mostly because im catching up on Christmas gifts, and i just felt like staying home (the week had been hectic with Jordyn's school, etc). Im glad i did though...i feel refreshed and relaxed...relaxed enough, that i made 16 pounds of fudge today :) the santa soup sounds fun...do you guys bring anything random you want, or do you have a list to go by? i want to see some photos from the naughty santa exchange :) heheheh sounds like a full weekend...Happy Christmas to ya!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Congratulations on passing the exam! A wonderful post...keeping it real. The week before Christmas is what it is! blessings, marlene

Gail said...

I hope the calm comes and no storm follows it. My furnace went out the other night too. Why is it they always go on a weekend when the service techs charge premium rates?

Have a wonderful Christmas & New Years and congrats on your coming ordination.

Gail :)

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I love this post! I love that I can hear your voice when I read your witty ways....and it cracks me up more. I can envision you at walmart in line between the exploders and the partiers..LOL!!!

*hugs*
Bonnie