Monday, September 20, 2010

Longarmers and Fall Festivals

Fall is my favorite time of the year. There's something in the air that I love. It also tends to be unbelievably busy. Lots of shows, fairs, festivals - there's no way someone could complain of boredom around here, that's for sure.

Last Wednesday, Laura and I had the privilege of judging the Carolina Longarm Association's annual quilt show in Clemmons, NC. They had 95 wonderful quilts and were so great to work with and so organized. It was a tough show to judge but we enjoyed ourselves immensely. In this particular show, we judge only the quilting - not the piecing or applique or binding appearance or workmanship - just quilting. You would think that looking at just one aspect of the quilt would make it easier to judge but the opposite is actually the case. Plus this is such a talented group of quilters, we literally had to look at the quilts with a magnifying glass. By the time I got home, I was pooped.


I did get a chance to go by the show on Friday to see the quilts hanging and get to enjoy them as a spectator. It really was a wonderful show. Here's just a few.

Friday afternoon, I helped Nane and Go Postal set up for the quilt show at the new Yadkin Cultural Arts Center. We got all the quilts hung and then met Dave at The German Restaurant in Yadkinville. (It's really out in the middle of nowhere but worth the drive if you like German food.)

Saturday I walked through the Yadkinville Harvest Festival to get to the Cultural Arts Center to hang out with Nane, kb, Quiltkeemosabee and a few other folks that paid visit. The arts center is incredible. It'll make you wish you lived in Yadkinville.
We were set up in the classroom space at the front of the center.
Here's the front of the building - right on Main Street.
The real action is to the side of the building. There's a stage and a courtyard and art studio rental space...which I covet deeply.
The building is a work of art all itself.


Just one more thing to share...Congresswoman Virginia Foxx came through the quilt show and just loved kb's quilt. I asked if I could get a photo of her with the quilt because I knew how much it would mean to the quilt maker and she very kindly obliged. (If you know anything about my or kb's political views, you know just how priceless this photo is.)

8 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I feel like I was there, thanks SEW much for sharing the weekend and all the terrific activities~

Nane said...

We are going to get a lot of mileage out of that last photo! Thanks for taking the pics and all the help. It was fun.

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Those are some great quilts and I too like the house one. Congresswoman Foxx has excellent taste.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the quilts! Particularly your last picture with the house quilt and the special guest!

black bear cabin said...

wonderful quilts...i loved all the photos, and it sounds like you had a great time too! :)

Carrie P. said...

Well I thought it would have been easier to judge but I guess you really have to look past the quilt itself.
I didn't even know that building was in Yadkinville. I will have to check it out sometime.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I missed both events! :(
Thanks for sharing the photos...at least I can see what I missed out on! Ah, baseball....it has my attention for now.

Becky G said...

It really was fun... and i thank Nane for putting it on her blog...that's how I found out about it... Yadkinville is an amazing place.. full of surprises. the quilt show was fab and your photos really show how wonderful the quilts and the show were;the Arts council building is phenominal; the artisans, crafts folks and their demonstrations were really inspiring. I understand there is to be another quilt show up there in nov & Dec.. well worth the 25-30 minute drive.