Friday, August 27, 2010

Women on a Mission

A few months ago kb's mom decided we needed to climb Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. So, Tuesday, we took off in an easterly direction, picked up Mrs. K and Aunt Sarah and kept on going east to the Outer Banks. The fact that these places even exist are pure miracle to me.

The past 48 hours have felt like a fantastic journey full of wondrous things.

We're first in line for the Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke.My three friends enjoying the comforts of the ferry (which really is quite comfortable).
Passing the incoming ferry.
A dredge up close.
The Ocracoke - Hatteras ferry almost all to ourselves (very odd and very cool).
The Bud Light truck riding on the ferry ahead of us (which just looked funny).
Hatteras Light from the front door.
The ocean from near the top.
The half-mile path Hatteras Light took to keep from falling into the ocean.
The amazing fact that this lat/long is no longer true.The light keeper's house which was also moved (and positioned in exactly the same spot relative to the lighthouse).
A beautiful sunset on Pamlico Sound.

Hatteras Light doing its job.


Ocracoke Light.

The ferry back home.

The not-so-wild anymore ponies.
But the best part - mission accomplished.

8 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a terrific adventure... too bad KB doesn't do much driving. ;) I love, love, love the OBX.

Teresa said...

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Nane said...

Awesome! I was wondering where you had been. I haven't seen the lighthouse since it moved. I know it was a blast with this group.

MJMR said...

Sounds like a terrific trip. Glad all enjoyed it.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

*sigh*

I LOVE the OBX! Especially Ocracoke.

Congrats on your climb...no small task I might add!

Latane Barton said...

Good for you... I've been the lighthouse before they moved it. Gee, that must have been ages ago. Time does march on.

Anonymous said...

I'm still smiling! It was a GREAT trip. We'll see what Mom cooks up next!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like you all had a great time. Sorry to say this is one place I did not get to in my time in NC. Guess I'll have to come back ;).