Things are busy!
On Friday, I met Mrs. G., Quiltkeemosabe, and Quilt Teacher at the Asheville Quilt Show at The NC Arboretum. The quilts were beautiful, of course. Here's a detail from one commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Blue Ridge Parkway...probably my favorite quilt there.

Walking though the gardens to another building, I became obsessed with these Concord grapes. They remind me of my grandfather. He had all kinds of grapes in his backyard but these were the best...and the hardest to get our hands on.

This weekend we got to go to Lake Lure. It was beautiful and very nice. We stayed at Rumbling Bald Resort because that was where Dave's meetings were. I would love to go back and stay at the old inn...you know the one from Dirty Dancing. One of the guys kept breaking into song all weekend - "Well, I Had the Time of My Life". It was hysterical. It felt very much like the hoidy-toidy feeling in the movie. I was a fish out of water - though I tried...Here's what Saturday was like for me - get up late - meet another surveyor's wife for breakfast at the clubhouse - have a facial at 11:00 - pick up lunch at the pro shop - have a massage at 1:00.
Oh yeah, I tried. I could live like that.

On Saturday afternoon, though, we hiked up Chimney Rock which wasn't as hard I thought it would be...but it was hot!

With help from my friends I've been cutting out a million Andinkra symbols for the 14 quilts we're doing for the DJembe Project. I had a cutting frenzy a few days ago and left the scraps by my chair. Shelby decided they looked like a good nest so now I can't bear to move them.

Work is nuts. I've got 2 grant proposals due tomorrow so it's been a few long days. Yesterday, though I got to visit Charlotte Hawkins Brown which is finally under construction!

I did get a quilt finished last night though! It's a sample for Sew Original and it was so fun to FINISH something!

6 comments:
I'll say again, you have the best weekends!! Love the pictures! Makes me homesick! Anyway I can help w/ your DJembe Project let me know (if you need more fabric donations or my hands at Blk Mtn.....)
Hiked up Chimney Rock...way to go. You've packed a lot in...glad you shared the photos.
Way to go... busy you~ I need a nap after reading of all this activity.
I would love to go to your quilt show in Asheboro. I have an elderly cousin who lives there and talks about the beautiful Smoky Mountains. Unfortunately I live too far away- though it is an equally beautiful area- Western Canada. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos of the area. We are off to the Rocky Mountains today to a place called Jasper- It is very beautiful there.
Your favorite quilt from the show is stunning- the artist created a stunning piece.
Your dog Shelby is too cute for words- it looks like he/she could get into some mischief too LOL.
You can find my blog here:
http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com/
Regards,
Anna
Shelby is the sweetest... :) Looks like you've been busy having fun! Good thing given the hours you're pulling this week at work...hope you survived your late night!
Enjoyed Friday. the quilt looks great. I know S wilo like it.
Post a Comment