Sunday, July 11, 2010

Standing at a Crossroads


I've been standing at a crossroads in my life since last Tuesday evening when I received a disturbing email. I have been weighing the pros and cons of withdrawing from this endeavor that I thought I wanted so badly. I'm a list maker so, of course, I made a list. When I meant to type "Why I Quit", what I automatically typed was "Why I Quilt".

This made me smile and it made my decision easier to bear.

Why I Quit
1. Someone in this program set out to do me harm with a vindictive heart.
2. It is time-consuming.
3. It is expensive.
4. I need to be concentrating on my job.
5. I need to be concentrating on my health.
6. I will always wonder if this person I am working with is "the one" who was so threatened by me (or just so mean) that that person felt the need to hurt me.
7. It's interfering with my quilting time.


Why I Quilt
1. Joy - for me and others

I think that's reason enough, don't you?

13 comments:

Quilting Memories said...

scNEVER EVER let someone so mean and vindictive make you quit something you enjoy....Life is way to short for that.....I don't know you very well, but I am positive you are way too nice to other people and your heart is in the right place...Do what you love and let everyone else do their "thing" DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by anyone....
Remember, Ms. Goodneedle's saying....Life is Good.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

You do your thing.....just be thankful you are not like this person.....glad you have gone pass that cross road...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have a picture of a crossroads hanging over my desk in my studio... in fact I'm looking at it right now. It shows a signpost above each road, pointing in opposite directions; one road is labled: YOUR LIFE, the other: NO LONGER AN OPTION. The title of the piece is DON'T LOOK BACK. Let me reach out a hand to you, my friend, in support and encouragement. Whatever you decide, you didn't do it impetuously and you considered all your options... if I'm reading your post right you chose your life and we both know that it is GOOD (and joy-filled!).

http://shop.maryengelbreit.com/p-1671-poster-dont-look-back.aspx

Sew and Sew said...

who cares what others have to say....you follow your heart and what makes you happy. If someone is challenging your life decisions, it's because they are unhappy with their lives and have to try to drag others down with them. Keep on quilting! You are so talented.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Good for you for not letting someone ruin something good for you!

Darlene said...

Oh my goodness, Lisa - there's so much I could say. I've suffered at the hands of vindictive mean people. I have to work at it on a daily basis - very difficult to silent their voice in your head. You're very strong; push them out.

Latane Barton said...

We must not let those with misguided, mean-spirited hearts stop us from achieving the things in life that we love and which bring us joy.

quiltkeemosabe said...

Don't let the turkey(s) win! You do what is right for you. And I would second everything that everyone posted before me!!!!!!

Gail said...

Hello,
I'm new to posting on this blog but I've been reading for awhile. Your post today caused me concern for you. I'm not an expert of life, I'm still in the learning phase but I'd like to share some of the things I've learned and maybe they will help you as well.

The quote (and sketch by my daughter) is on my desk and I try and live by it. Henry David Thoreau once said, "Don't look back unless you plan to go that way".

I strongly believe that the road to sanity and happiness begins when you realize that you cannot change other people but you can change yourself.

If your let another's actions or words influence your decisions then you are giving them control over your life.

Be strong, carry on. I send you good thoughts

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sometimes Satan will use other people to try to steal our joy. Don't let him succeed. Do what you love and what you know in your heart is right for you. blessings, marlene

Teresa said...

Everyone before me has said it so well..all I can add is Amen!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I don't know which situation you are finding yourself in, but you know I've been there (you heard all about it!). Mean, vindictive people are best left in the dust on the side of the road. There is no changing them, especially if they are the kind that think the way they treat people is just fine.

And in my experience, sometimes I think they are allowed to cross your path to move you in better direction. And sometimes there's just no explaining it, except that they are hollow, bitter, empty souls who revel in trying to bring other people down.

Good for you for not taking it. Whatever "it" is. :)

{{{{hugs}}}}}

Carrie P. said...

Amen!