
So, I'm back on my path, doing what I do.
What do I do?
I make quilts. To me, it is the answer to every occasion. Births, marriage, graduation, big birthdays, even deaths. When ever something happens, I want to congratulate or console with the comfort of a quilt.
Several months back, I was contacted by a woman that had seen my Women's Fund quilt when she was award a grant for her new program for girls. She has brought a group of at-risk girls together and through a program she has devised is helping them become better women. They meet every Saturday morning and based on their actions, interactions, service, etc., they earn Andinkra symbols that represent things they have learned and characteristics they exhibit. It is based on African rites of passage and will, hopefully, make a permanent and positive mark on the lives of these young girls.
As a member of The Women's Fund, I was aware of this program and when we were voting on which programs to fund, this one drew me in. I loved the idea of empowering a group of girls. So, when the director of the program emailed me to talk about ideas on how to provide an "award" for each girl at the end of the program, I knew there was no doubt I wanted to help out.
So, I'm making 14 quilts, one for each girl.

Back in March, I met the girls and spent a wonderful morning with them, having them pick out squares of fabric to use in their quilt. I had more than enough 10" blocks cut out and we spread them out on the floor and they took turns gathering their squares. They put their squares in big ziploc bags and I asked them to write their name on the bags with a Sharpie. Many did more than write their name and today, as I've pulled those bags out to get started on the hard part, I have smiled at the hearts and flowers on those bags. One says "Shine wherever you go!"
As the girls earn symbols, I'll applique the symbol to one of their squares. I received the first group of symbols this weekend so I can get started. It's going to be a lot of work but I am so looking forward to it.
9 comments:
What a wonderful project! You have taken on a huge job but the rewards will be so much more than the effort. Those quilts will be a tangible reminder of such an important time in those girls' lives - changing them for the better. Doing what you do is very special!
Love this.
You have the help of the MBH hive...just let us know when we can help
Ditto to what Nane says. You know I'm in.....
way cool...!!
You really have taken on a big task and I know those girls are going to appreciate those quilts for many years.
The symbols are fantastic, can't wait to get started...
wow, what an awesome thing you are doing. So very special.
You know Lisa...you are a special person.
Post a Comment