Friday, March 26, 2010

Putting Things in Perspective

Yeah, Monday was rough. Tuesday was a bit better. And then Wednesday...

I was plodding through Wednesday when one of my partners came by and told me there had been an accident on one of the construction sites.

This particular construction site is a wastewater treatment plant. Without getting into the mumbo-jumbo, we've got a great big hole. 40 feet square by 35 feet deep. You dig the big hole then you build the well (concrete floor, concrete walls). There's scaffolding all around it and a cat walk at the top.

As the guys say - it's big-boy construction. Here's what it looks like.


No freaking way am I getting anywhere near that hole. It's big and deep and scary.

There are guys that do it everyday.

Wednesday one of those guys leaned back and fell off...into the 35 feet deep hole.

He wasn't harnessed - just walking by (like my partner there in the red shirt).

Half way down he hit scaffolding, went through it and landed on the bottom.

How in the world could a man survive that?

He did.

He was airlifted out of the hole and off to Baptist Hospital.

We just knew every bone in his body was broken, every internal organ was damaged.

I went home and for a walk with this stranger on my mind. Who is he? Is he supporting a family? Will he live? If he does, how bad will he be incapacitated?

On the way to work yesterday morning, I spoke with one of the other partners. The construction inspector had called with an update.

Are you ready for this?

I wasn't.

The man is fine.

No broken bones.

No internal organ damage.

A laceration on his head that is not life threatening.

I thought it was a miracle he survived at all. Now this.

I cried all the way to the office. I could barely breathe.

If you don't see the hand of God in this...

7 comments:

Carol said...

WOW! You're right...sure puts things in perspective. There certainly was someone watching over him. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

if you don't see the hand of God in this...
then you're not looking! Amazing. Thanks be to God!!

KQ Sue said...

That is totally for sure! Wow!

Ann S said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Amazing story....Wow! I'm thankful he is ok...he certainly had angels.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

...then look again! Thanks for sharing this.

Heritage Quilter said...

Isn't it great when you kind of forget that God is always there, he throws a brick at you to remind you that he is....