Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For a Few Moments

Life has been hectic and stressful. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this right now but sometimes don't you feel you're the only one out there barely holding your head above water?

Work is nuts. I have now taken over three office spaces just to keep all my paperwork from crushing me. (One office is my old office space with a door and walls where all my business development stuff remains. One office is a cubicle with piles of plans and specs and permits and forms and all that other #$%&* EPA and NC Public Water Supply need to make these ARRA (federal stimulus) projects go. The last office is where I sit and chaos ensues.)

Home is nuts. It's hard to maintain a household when you're never there.

And it seems to be true about after 40 things start falling apart.


I could go on and on you get the picture.

What's a girl to do?


I like to think of Dori (you know, from Finding Nemo...the one that had a problem with short term memory...paint me blue and I'm Dory).


Remember?


Keep on swimming. Just keep on swimming.

That's all we've got to do.

But for a few moments yesterday, I got a break from the chaos. I met Karen and Bonnie for a spur of the moment lunch at Soups.
It was wonderful to sit down with friends in a cool restaurant eating something not so bad for you and talking and laughing and forgetting for a moment that the world is trying to swallow you up.

The afternoon was a little easier because for a few moments, I was just a girl at lunch with some friends.


Then after work I went to a new class at a new quilt shop in our area. The class is based on the book Fearless Design for Every Quilter. There are 11 of us in the group, each from diverse professional and quilting backgrounds. We are going to work our way through one chapter each month. It is going to be a great learning experience.



And for a few moments I got to be a designer having great conversation with other designers.

Afterward there was dinner at Asian View with my bff where for a few moments I got to unload to someone who loves me and listens to me and knows when to look at me and say "get over it" or "here's your options".

Then, I drive home in the silence where for a few moments I was just me by myself which is comfortable and healing.

For a few moments I escaped from the stress and the mess and the disappointments and the demands.

"For a few moments" adds up everyday.


"For a few moments" makes the "keep on swimming" worth while.

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I recommend a few of those stress freee moments each day. They save the spirit in each of us.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

life just has a way of kicking us in the backside sometimes...lunch was fun and I needed it too! Here's to good friends to "just keep swimming" with! :)

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Sounds as though you really have a handle on what you need, what works to destress you. Bravo! I had lunch out yesterday with two of my favorite coworkers and we also had a marvelous time laughing and griping and commiserating. The onion rings weren't bad either!

Anonymous said...

I hear you...loud and clear. I get feeling same.

onlymehere said...

I'm right there with you just swimming in circles! Funny, I never wanted to be one of those women who "did it all." I just wanted to be a mom. It doesn't get much simpler than that but life never asked me what I wanted and we all do what we have to do to survive in this world. Keep swimming and smiling! I noticed that Dory was always happy! Hang in there!

Teresa said...

I can so relate to this post, and Dory is one of my all time favorite "people."