Thursday, September 3, 2009

An Eventful Morning



Yesterday I was running late for work (like most days). I jumped in my car and took off down the road.

What the heck is wrong with my car?

It was fine last night!

So, I pull into the little shopping area across from the elementary school and check it out.

Ahhhh, a flat. Right rear...no wonder I didn't notice it...not that I would have as I ran from the house to the car trying to get to work before an 8:30 meeting.

First thing...call the big boss man...so he's not waiting to meet with me. (Thank goodness he's running later than I am so no trouble there.)

Second thing...call the boss man...who laughs and dispatches a field crew to come to my rescue.

Yes, I am a lucky girl to have all these resources. I mean...I could change the tire myself but I'm in a skirt plus I know that my spare has a bent rim and won't hold air so travel is involved to fix this situation.

So, I'm standing in the parking lot, enjoying the cool, crisp air and watching the parents take their children to school.

Then...a horrific scream...

I'm talking a scream like I've never heard IN MY LIFE.

I look over and this poor woman who was trying to get something out of the back of her van is pinned between her van and a car...a car that had been parked across the parking lot. (The woman driving the car left it in gear and it rolled.)

(I'll tell you now that everyone walked away relatively unscathed so you don't have to wonder as I babble along.)

I ran to her (huh? I can still run if I need to? wow...) and a guy got there just before I did and moved the car off the woman. I leaned on the car to keep it from rolling back again and called 911.

(If you want quick action from the authorities say "a woman was just hit by a car in the parking lot across from the elementary school" especially at 8:15 in the morning when they know the children are streaming in from everywhere...oh and have the woman wailing in the background.)

About 30 seconds later we could hear sirens from EVERYWHERE.

About 2 minutes later there were 4 police cars, a motorcycle cop, an ambulance and a fire truck...not to mention the small crowd of concerns parents and shop owners. The Subway owner brought her a cup of water. The hair salon owner brought her a chair so she could sit but not have to try to walk. The first man on the scene held her hand and patted her back. She had stopped wailing and was calm. Her knee hurt.

Eventually my rescuers showed up and I quietly walked off to my car to deal with my own morning "crisis". If they needed anything from me, the 911 operator had my cell phone number.

They wouldn't need me. Before long, the EMS folks had her up and walking around, though limping a bit. I imagine she will be awfully sore. Thank God that's all.

So, after that, my flat tire was no big deal. I enjoyed the cool, crisp tease of fall weather, enjoyed spending time with the guys from work and learned where all the parts to my tire jack are stored.

I'm a lucky girl.

9 comments:

black bear cabin said...

glad to hear no one was hurt too badly! isnt it wonderful to have a cavalry come to your rescue? i love the photo you included...it seemed perfect! a tiresome morning, but at least it turned out okay...and what a fun story to share with the rest of us :)

onlymehere said...

What a morning. I'm so glad she wasn't seriously hurt.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Whew, does put things in perspective.
It is important how you word things, you can get different responses.

Quilting Memories said...

What an exciting start to your day! Glad you got help with your tier, but also very glad the Lady wasn't injured too badly. I'm sure she was scared to death. I haven't been able to get on your email, but thanks for thinking of me, but I also want to thank you for continuing to check out my blog. I am going to try to do better.

Carrie P. said...

What an exciting morning you had. Glad no one was hurt to bad.

Teresa said...

Wow..what a morning. At least you had a story more exciting than a flat tire to tell at your business meeting.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my goodness that's scary! Just goes to show - you never know what the day is going to bring you. blessings, marlene

Karen Newman Fridy said...

ohmygoodness!!!!!! glad everone was OK

Tipper said...

Wow what a morning!