Thursday, August 20, 2009

Look a Chicken!



My best friend, LauraQuilts, decided in April to get a bunch of chicks. It's been fun to watch them grow from little fluff balls to gorgeous hens.

(photos courtesy of LauraQuilts)



So, I'm fascinated with Laura's chickens. When she steps out the back door, they come running out of the coop to greet her. They make wonderful clucky, cooey sounds and are extremely curious especially if you have greenery to feed them.



Though I come from farm folk, I'm pretty city-fied.



I mean, I've seen chickens before.




...in other people's yards




and at the State Fair.



But I've never actually touched one.




Here's Liz (after Liz Taylor because of her black plumage).





I got to pet her Monday evening.



Chickens are big and soft and fluffy.



More so than they appear.



I wonder if these chickens know how lucky they are to be in Laura's care. They have a wonderful coop (the Coop De Ville), all the chicken candy they can eat, a fan blowing from the shop next to them keeping them cool and Laura to sing to them every day.



But if they don't start laying eggs soon...

Does she look worried to you?



13 comments:

LauraQuilts said...

Ahh, there's no escaping the papparazzi. They look gorgeous and you are very sweet to show them off - but all the same, eggs soon, ladies! Especially you, Lizzie. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Nane said...

They may not be able to perform under pressure, or maybe its your choice of songs Laura....what genre are you singin?

They are pretty, can't wait to meet them.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

They're GORGEOUS, if Laura sang to me I know I'd perform! ;)

Needled Mom said...

We've always had chickens until recently. I love all the lovely colors of them and yes, they do have great personalities. Tell Laura that it takes about 6 months to get the first eggs.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Why they're just little pre-teens! They'll be laying soon enough. For now they just get to be gorgeous! Can't wait to meet them :-)

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

what lovely pictures of the chickens and you made me smile talking about them and by petting them--maybe they need a rooster it here to get them going?????
hug, just, Di a siggy partner

Unknown said...

Has she tried Rap? A little of Nelly's "Shake Your Tail Feathers" might do the trick. Plus, chickens kinda have the "crunk" head bobbing thing down.

Teresa said...

Those are some nice looking chickens as chickens go. But I am scared of chickens...comes from my parents raising bantee (sp?) chickens that would chase me all around the yard, pecking at my heels. No thanks!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

*LOL* I'd have to name one fricasee, and one dumpling, and one...KUNG PAO!!! :cD

Bonnie

Carrie P. said...

I guess if Laura has named them they won't really be going on the dinner table?

Anonymous said...

You all are just too funny! Chicken's and papparazzi! I can't believe how many Chicken's there are, a house full! They are pretty but I bet they are another full time job! Enjoy Friends and Chickens!

julieQ said...

I love your chickens! No, your hen doesn't worried about laying eggs, it is her closeup that is making her nervous!

Tipper said...

Love the pics. I think I've finally talked my hubby into letting me have chickens-I can't wait.