Saturday, November 22, 2008

Surprises


Yesterday we woke up to find snow and fallen overnight. It wasn't much but any trace of snow around here is reason to get excited. I miss snow. We haven't had a decent snowfall since I moved here 12 years ago.


Shelby was not impressed with the snow.



Yesterday also brought another surprise in the mail. Quiltkeemosabee sent me this little book that I was coveting at retreat a couple of weeks ago. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!



This morning, Dave left to do a couple of errands. When he came back home about 45 minutes later he told me he saw the wildest thing. He talked me into getting in the truck and riding down the to elementary school a a few blocks away. (Keep in mind I'm still in my PJ's and robe.)

Look at the top left corner of the school's can recycling bin. See him?


We're used to seeing hawks around here but they are usually way up in the trees. This guy was at eye level and had been there for at least 45 minutes. He is huge! Much bigger than Shelby! We watched him for 15 minutes or so, wondering why he was still standing there on top of that bin. I was afraid he was stuck in the grate but after a few minutes it was obvious he had his breakfast up there with him. He would move his right foot but not his left...so I was still a bit worried. Finally, he moved his left foot and we knew he could fly away if he wanted.


What would we have done if we discovered he was stuck? Called the local raptor center to come rescue him. I'm not crazy enough to walk up to a hawk!


Beautiful, huh?

7 comments:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Cool! But goodness, so close to your house...don't let sweet Shelby out by herself!!

Latane Barton said...

What an exciting morning... just goes to show that you can find interesting life in pjs or not. ha.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lovely photos...and the Simple Pleasure book is just gorgeous it has some lovely projects...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

We have an abundance of those hawks out here, be sure and keep little Shelbers leashed...

They are beautiful birds. We had a mama hawk on a nest high up in a tree out at the end of our driveway this summer. Whenever I went out to get the mail she would cry out, it was an ear-splitting scream, I didn't tarry too long around the mailbox!

Nane said...

Maybe it can come to my house next and get that chipmunk that is getting into my attic. They are beautiful (and a little scary)

Tipper said...

Beautiful hawk and snow. We only got a few flurries here.

Carrie P. said...

Wow that hawk is awesome.
My dog loves the snow. She loves to put her face in it for some reason. Silly dog!