Sunday, November 16, 2008

Random Roamings

I googled "random number picker" and found, of course, a random number picker. I love Google. Anything you want, you can find with google except socks lost in the dryer.

So, the random number picker tossed out #6. So the winner of the giveaway is Ann S in Ohio! I decided that since it's cold in Ohio and Ann isn't a quilter, she needed a flannel quilt. So, I'm sending her a little Sweet Potato quilt.


One of my favorite things about this quilt is I experimented with free motion leaves in the skinny border. It was a blast to do.


More randomness... I finished the binding on this little quilt the other day. This was a kit I bought at Good Wives Company in Marion, Ohio a year and a half ago. The flannels used in this quilt are like butter. I've never felt fabric so soft. I wish I had a hundred yards more!


A few months ago, Soul Sister was asked to fill the president's position for the guild when the former president decided she needed to step down. So, the next thing I knew, I became workshop chair. Yesterday we had a guild workshop taught by my friend, Rug Hookin Buddy. (This is what happens...when one buddy goes into guild service, we all go. I'm sure it's the same all around the world.)

So...this class... we made fat quarter bags or as another friend likes to call them "Granny Drawers Bags" (because they look like great big granny bloomers). I didn't need to take the class. I've made a dozen or so of these bags, but workshops are fun and my buddies were going to be there. Here's my bag...
These are great bags. You can fit a Volkswagen Beetle in one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW FUN!!!
STUFF IT AND GO!!!

quiltkeemosabe said...

Loved the quilts! Who designed the tree quilt?? It looks like it could be a Sue Spargo, is it??? Inquiring minds.......

Carrie P. said...

How great for Ann to get one of your wonderful quilts. Congratulations to Anne. Love the trees and bird quilt. Love to see it at show and tell.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

But could you lift the bag after the beetle was in there? I know all about butter-soft flannel yumminess... sewed up a batch of that in a baby quilt and it was like having my hands on/in a cloud, great stuff! Your sampler is incredible! Congrats to Ann S.

Ann S said...

Hot Dang! What a way to start my week! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hardly deserve this work of art, I will cherish it forever, and keep the pets and kids away from it. Best of all it will always remind me of you!
THANNKS!!!! Hope all is going well with you! Keep stitchin'

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love, love, love flannel quilts. They satisfy my cold-natured soul! Do you have some simple directions for the Granny Drawers Bag...or could you do a tutorial? blessings, marlene

Nane said...

Great Stuff....yes we need to see this quilt in person at show and tell. Congrats to Ann!

Tipper said...

Beautiful quilts! Congrats to Ann!

bingo~bonnie said...

I took a "Fat Quarter Bag" class years ago - as in around the year 1999 or was it 2000? Anyway, my friends my age laughed at the mention of it... and I for the longest time I couldn't figure out why... inocent me - how was I to know that "Fat Quarter Bag" was slang for wanting to buy $25 worth of pot...?

anyway I've used and used my bag - and la,la,love that it can hold a whole bed sized quilt in it when working on hand stitching down binding...

but I did want to tell you that a few years back I saw the same bag/pattern made using the "disapering 9-patch" method first instead of just chunks of 9 patches sewn together - and OH MY what a beautiful bag it makes!!! I have a couple photos I could share - they are sooo pretty. ;) makes my old FQ Bag look ugly... but I love it all the same.... but you will never see me in public caring mine LOL

Love from Texas! ~bonnie