Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Side Trips & Wildlife



Early this morning I met one of my co-workers to go to a meeting in a town just north of here called Eden. I've never thought about it but I guess it can be said I live just south of paradise (Eden) - a nice thought actually. But I digress...

So my co-worker and I go to this meeting. This particular co-worker and I work very well together. We are peas and carrots - opposites that go together. He's blond and thin...I'm not. He talks...alot...I don't. And, of course, he's a he and I'm a she. We've traveled for work together a lot and when we're not on the road, we're sitting 10 feet from each other talking through the wall at each other...plotting work and telling stories and laughing quite a bit. Even though we look nothing alike, we have been confused as brother and sister. Somewhere along the line, we started refering to each other as Poodle - a reference to the TV show Will & Grace - a pet name that the characters Karen and Jack had for each other. Okay - so the point to me telling you all that is so I can refer to my co-worker as Poodle instead of coworker. Back to the story...

So, Poodle and I are off to Eden this morning for a meeting. We make it through the meeting without looking like a couple of idiots and actually make some progress on the project. We stop to have an early lunch and as I'm walking back out to my car while he's paying the lunch bill I wonder how close am I to Stoneville. Fraser's is in Stoneville... a rug hooker's dream. By the time Poodle gets in the car, I'm programming Fraser's address into my little GPS unit. Only 20 minutes away! Poodle says "Let's go!" (See why we're peas and carrots?)

Twenty minutes later we're deep in rural NC pulling up to Fraser's shop, which is an experience in itself. No less than 6 dogs greet us. They range from a large hound dog to a petite chihuahua. There are horses and goats across the little road. Poodle stays in the car while I go in and shop. This is not his first side trip with me. He has caught many a nap in my car while I explored a quilt shop that happened to be in our path. Again, peas and carrots.


A little while later I emerge with my new wool and as I walk towards the car, he calls out "Look!" About 6 feet from me is this gorgeous peacock just walking around in front of the car. They really are breathtaking. So, while I was inside, Poodle was well entertained by the wildlife in the driveway.


What started out as an ordinary day "at the office" turns into an adventure in rural NC.

You just never know what the day will bring.

4 comments:

Nane said...

I actually have a peacock that lives near me on Walker road. You can hear him scream on a clear morning. I have learned to to keep an eye out for him early in the morning because I have seen him "strutting his stuff" close to the road. We have a large textile plant in Eden, if I get to check off the "hook a rug" from my 100 Things list I will have to check it out.

Quilting Memories said...

What a wonderful day you must have had. AND, a male coworker that will go with you shopping and not complain, You must know he is heaven sent.***VBS***
Thanks for commenting on my blog, its always nice to read everyones comments. J

MJMR said...

Peacocks are truly one of the most beautiful birds on earth. So glad you shared your peacock with us.

Quilting Memories said...

Thanks for commenting about my DD"s quilt, she made my day!
Couldn't find an email address for you. J